Sunday, January 19, 2014

Yellowstone Challenge

Calin had his second meet this weekend at his home gym here in Rexburg. It was a lot of work to transform their regular practice space for the boy's meet, then again for the girls meet, then back to the regular practice gym. I'm glad that Darin got to do all the heavy lifting after I took the kids home to bed.
The boys portion of the meet was on Friday night after school, I took Calin out early so he had a chance to wind down and eat before we went (he usually gets home at 4 and the meet was at 5).
Grandma and Grandpa Herzoff were able to join us for this meet, hopefully they don't regret it because it was a LONG one! We showed up at 5 for warm up, and we didn't get done with awards until 10. It was the same amount of time as the last meet, but the difference is in Utah they had a few hours to warm up, then did each event cold turkey with no practice run. At this one they did a quick 20 minute warm up then went right into the meet, doing a practice run before each event began. So while it was the same amount of time, in Utah we didn't sit through the long warm up, we were back at the hotel getting ready and having breakfast.
Calin improved his scores at this meet. I don't know if the judges were more lenient, or if it was because they got a practice run, or if his nerves were more calm being in the familiar setting of his gym. Whatever it was, he did great!
I know I wasn't going to share a lot of detail, but I want you to see the difference.
             Utah vs Idaho
     Floor:   9.6 - 10.2 (he had a hopped landing mid routine last time that took his score down).
Pommell: 10.2 - 10.1 (he was required to do 5 rotations instead of the 3 he did in Utah)
     Rings:   9.0 - 10.2 (much better!)
      Vault:   9.0 -   9.2 (not his best event)
   P. Bars:   8.7 - 10.2 (huge improvement!)
High Bar: 10.5 - 10.6 (his best event)
AA total:  57.3 - 60.4

There were only 4 gymnasts in his division this time, so he took 1st place in All Around. He also took 1st in all the other events except vault, for which he took 2nd.

Pommel Horse and Mushroom: Sorry these upload to such poor quality, I don't know how to change that!
Snack break, glad to see he's sharing. 


After a late night at the gym we headed back first thing in the morning to sell concessions during the Girls Meet. According to the Booster Club President, (who is in charge of the meet) it went great and the judges had all compliments and suggested we put in a bid to host the state meet next year (which she was already planning to do). Let's hope we get it! It would be great to travel to one less meet next year.

1 comment:

mom said...

I am impressed with how quickly he has learned the routines and how good he does. Tell him congrats for me please.