![]() |
| 7th grade, age 12. |
#1, Jr. High. How is my kid in Jr High? This is not sitting well with me at all. I'm scared for my little man in that huge school. I'm scared of those 7th grade girls who are taller than I am and wear too much makeup on their already beautiful faces. I'm scared for bullies and 9th graders and challenging school work. I'm scared for a busy gymnastics schedule that will take away from homework time, and more importantly, family time. I'm scared for my son to feel as scared and alone as I did when I went to Jr. High (although he has the advantage of knowing kids from his previous schools, I transferred to a school away from my childhood friends, and for a shy girl that was pretty much terrifying). I'm scared for my baby to be growing up so very fast. Where did the last 12 years go? I have joked about my kids being half grown, but in reality, Calin is now 2/3rds grown. In 6 short years he will be an adult and head out into this big scary world alone. Can this not happen, please? I'm not ready, and I'm certainly not grown up enough myself to have a child who has reached this stage of life. Please someone, rewind the clock and take me back to those years of diapers and car seats that felt so endless at the time but have proven to be fleeting.
Jr High. Nope. Not ready.
![]() |
| 4th grade, age 9. |
The teacher thing was it's own separate issue though, neither of us felt good about it, it just wasn't sitting right. I'm sure that teacher is great (I don't know her) but something was wrong and I just couldn't put my finger on it. So when I went in to register her last week I made a final plea on her behalf and got her into the teacher she wanted, the same teacher Calin had, which comforted her because that teacher already knows our family. I don't understand the logic behind that reasoning since she's never had the same teacher as Calin, but I understand seeing logic in illogical situation, so I accept her reason as valid. This also happens to be the same class all her friends are in, but strangely, she says that doesn't matter, she would have wanted that teacher even if her friends weren't in there.
It was an easier week once her class got switched, for her at least. I've been fretting over it. I don't like to make a fuss over those kinds of things. I didn't want to change her teacher because it would be an inconvenience to the school, and because I didn't want to be that crazy demanding mother. Plus, what if I made the wrong choice? Should I have trusted the system and the teacher she was assigned to? I don't mind putting my kids into situations that challenge them because I see the benefit of that kind of growth, but this one seemed to push Naiya past her limits so I had to step up and fight for her. School needs to feel like a safe environment at this tender age, I want her to have one more year of security before she hits middle school, that will be hard enough to deal with.
So the kids are at school and now I sit here alone in my quiet house wondering and worrying about them. Naiya skipped breakfast because her stomach felt weird (her stomach feeling weird became quite normal over the summer). I hope she didn't regret that choice an hour into the morning. I hope she's happy with her class. I hope her teacher wasn't too put out by our last minute change, and doesn't hold it against us. I hope Naiya comes home with a smile and not full of fear for the new year.
I'm worried about Calin having enough time to get back and forth across the school with his locker at the far end away from most of his classes. I worry about him making good friends and good choices. I hope he has the right info on which bus will bring him home. I hope he isn't too tired since he had his first temple trip last night that kept him out late so he didn't get into bed until 10.
This is my normal routine for the first day of school. I always plan to get so much done, but in the end I usually spend all day worrying. Then when afternoon hits, as it has now, I realize I've accomplished nothing and set off to the kitchen to whip up a batch of cookies. Warm cookies welcome them home and entice them to sit with me and tell me all about their day so I can finally put my worried mind at ease. So if you'll excuse me, I have some baking to do and will update about how their day went later.


1 comment:
Oh Kate your thoughts and concerns are universal. As mothers we all have worried about those same things and you are so good at putting those feelings into words.
I hope the kids both did well and enjoyed their cookies and sharing their day with you. Keep the door open as I know you will even if they (esp Calin) try to close it. We sure wish we could keep them in a bubble and protect them from the world.
You are their advocate and if Naiya was that anxious about the teacher etc I think you did right. Can't wait for your follow up report on how the first day went.
Post a Comment