Saturday, December 6, 2014

Growing up.

Yesterday I took Naiya to the credit union to get money out of her account. Her little conversation with the teller was simple, but so cute. I love helping her learn how to do grown up things.

Naiya: I'd like to make a deposit.
(Me whispering "a withdrawal")
Naiya: A withdrawal.
Teller: That's okay, lots of people make that mistake. How much would you like?
Naiya: Can you tell me how much I have in there?
Teller: $81.56.
Naiya: Okay, I would like $8.25 please. (At this point there was a background conversation between me and Darin because he chuckled at her exact amount and I explained she was getting it to pay tithing and then we discussed whether or not she had already paid tithing on that money)
Teller: I need you sign here. (hands her the electronic signature pad)
Naiya: (to me) Do I just write my name?
Me: Write your name in cursive...your last name too.
Teller: Do they even teach cursive anymore in school?
Me: Yeah, a little bit but there isn't a huge emphasis.

Teller: Here you go, $8.25 (counts money to show her). Would you like it in an envelope?
Naiya: No.
Teller: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Naiya: No.
Teller: Have a great day!
Naiya: Thank you!

After the credit union we ended up at Porters craft store where she saw pine wreaths on sale, along with all the cutesy little decorations for them that were 50% off. She then spent the next hour designing her own wreath for the front door, asking my opinion and changing out pieces as needed. One lady had been standing nearby when Naiya began her project, she left to finish her shopping but stopped by again later and complemented Naiya telling her it was coming along great. A little while later a college girl (I assume) passed by and saw the wreath. She asked if I had just created it, to which I replied that my daughter had. She commented that it was nice and said "I would pay for that". How thankful I am for random strangers who helped buoy up the confidence of my little girl! She was thrilled by the compliments but still unsure of herself. She asked me for reassurance because she's just a kid and doesn't know if it's good or not. I assured her that it doesn't matter that she's a kid. She's an artist, and if she likes it and she's happy with how it turned out and she's proud of herself, then it's absolutely perfect. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. She did a great job. Hopefully we can get it finished tomorrow (depending on how things go with her science fair project that is due on Monday). I'll post pictures once she gets it done.

And a random update on the Christmas magic thing. Little lady is still heartbroken. She is trying so hard to keep pretending that our Elf on the Shelf is real but one day I found her in tears over him. I wish I hadn't told her, she wasn't quite ready. I should have probably reassured her her non-believing friends were going to get less presents from Santa and that she had nothing to be worried about. It's too late though, poor kid. Poor mom.

1 comment:

mom said...

Should have told the teller about Naiya's cursive writing award. That girl does know how to write. Nice experience for her.
Looking forward to seeing her wreath. Her creativity exceeds that of a kid. Hope she will recognize that she has a gift/talent.
Such a tuff time for her. So sorry.