It makes me crazy to have to stop washing dishes 9 times to figure out why someone is crying. I can't scrub the bathroom without the living room getting trashed or cook dinner without little beggers at my feet. And there in the back of my mind taunting me, mocking me, is the little thought that I could make it all go away. One magical push of a button and they'd be sucked into Sesame Street or Super Why. Taking the extra step to put in a DVD could fill their entire afternoon with Diego or Pokemon. But no, I'm a glutton for punishment. I like to torture myself by trying to be a "good" mom and making them play instead of rotting their brains and muscles glued to the couch. I don't know how other moms do it. How do they get things done without going crazy in the process?
Yesterday in my attempt to prepare Family Home Evening I sent the kids upstairs to play so I could get some quiet. I could tell they were making a mess but I needed to to finish up my visual aids so I let it go. But the mess was much more than I thought it would be. Calin had not only dumped out the toyboxes, he emptied every shelf and drawer he could get his hands on as well as dumping out all the little pieces and parts of toys like the toolbox. He scattered the contents of his dresser around the room. Dumped out my box of stuff for Goodwill, pulled stuff from the huge pile of boxes in Naiya's room to add to his pile. He unfolded numerous towels and blankets and even pulled out all the letters from the floor mat in his bathroom. He took all the toiletpaper out of the bag in the bathroom and even came downstairs to get puzzles so he could dump those into the pile as well (he would have gotten more stuff from down here if I hadn't stopped him).

I took one look in his room and tried so hard to stay upbeat and gladly agreed to help him clean up, starting with Naiya. She had taken his handsoap from the bathroom into the bedroom and squirted a ton into her hands, rubbed it up her arms and got it all over herself and the floor. I ran her to the bathroom but in the process she dripped soap all over the massive pile of toys. Not a fun way to start the project. An hour into the cleaning and I just started fuming at how long it was taking and how uncooperative he was being. It ate up my afternoon leaving me no time to cook dinner and no time for FHE, the very reason I got myself into this mess in the first place.
I have days like this all the time and it seems that I'm the only one. Everyone else I know seems to be organized and creative, they're masters at time management, and are completely on top of things. Their kids are perfect and their house is perfect and even they appear perfect. I know that couldn't possibly be the case but I hate that women think they need to be better than one another. Their constant need for one-up-manship makes me feel even worse. Curse you blasted perfect women! Can no one just be down to earth and normal anymore? Does everything have to be a competition? Can't a mom look at another mom who's struggling and give her a hug of encouragement rather than turn her nose up or get that "haha, I'm so much better than you" look in her eyes? Can't we just be friends and treat each other like sisters? This horrible dog-eat-dog, keeping-up-with-the-Jones' kind of life is certainly not for me (not that I ever thought it was).
On a more positive note, before the mess, Naiya got ahold of my eyeliner and tried to put it on, so cute! Pics aren't very clear b/c she desperately wanted the camera, but it looked like she had a black eye.



Dare I admit that while I've been venting this to my blog my kids have been watching TV? Haha! It sure has been nice though to sit and think my thoughts without interruption!
And now I'll be a good mom again and take them to the playground. :)
9 comments:
Kate, Franky is only 9 months old and feel the same way sometimes, i can only imagine how it is with two big kids. Good Luck
You sound like a great mom to me!!! Love the mess, my kids do the same thing. I probably have to clean up the couch cushions 5 times a week. sometimes a day.
You're not alone...I try hard not to turn that tv on for Max...and it takes me so long to get my laundry done that by the time I get everything put away, my basket is full again. And while I'm typing this comment, Max found a permanent marker...gotta run.
I would hope all moms have those kinds of days. I'm sure they do, but most just don't like to admit it. My laundry is still unfolded on our bed, the sink is full of dishes, and the bathroom really needs a clean...and I know this is only the beginning with only a 4 month old (which can't even make messes yet) You're a great mom and I look up to you that you don't want your kids to be tv junkies!
Like everyone else, my kids do that all the time. The TV is SOOO tempting. whenever I try to clean the bathroom I turn around and find one of the kids with a wet shirt smelling like windex. Not good. It does make one feel better to hear other are in the same boat though, thanks for the post.
That's all the birth control I need!
Now Dan, don't let my whining put you off to having kids! I'm just having a bad week (month and year). Did you not read my post about them praying together? Those wonderful little moments make all the rest of the chaos completely worthwhile. I promise!
I think that is just part of motherhood and the only moms who may be able to avoid it are those who can pay to have nannies chase after their kids all day. But even then I wouldn't count on it. And some days the TV is my best friend!!!
Kate I just have to say.. you are not alone.. trust me when I come home from work all I want to do is turn on the tv so I can get things done and I have to admit that is what happens alot. As for keeping up with the Jones, anytime you need a quick pick me up come spend time at my house... you'll leave feeling great about yourself.
Post a Comment