Friday, November 30, 2007

Hair Anxiety

Well, the time has come. I have been growing my hair out for years in order to get rid of the weird mullet thing that happened once my super short cut began to grow. I always intended to grow it until I could get rid of the mullet thing and then get another cute cut.
I'm sad to say that the time came and went many months back. My hair has been way too long for way too long. I hate how easily it tangles and is always in my face and the fact that it's all one length is particularly disgraceful.
So it's finally time to stop procrastinating the cut. I'm ready to shell out the dough and hand over control to an able bodied sylist. And I'm pretty terrified. As much as I hate it long, the shock of a shorter cut and those days of fumbled styling and self consciousness are inevitable, and I guarantee there will be tears.
I will threaten that I'm not leaving the house for a month (as if that could actually happen) and refuse to go to church up until the last minute. At that point I will be deluded into thinking everyone will see me when I walk into sacrament meeting a half hour late, when in reality only 1% of the congregation will actually notice (especially since my mom saves me a seat 2 feet from the door). Anyway, because I hate attention focused on me, I'll get that feeling in the pit of my stomach that will make me want to vomit and tears will well up in my eyes and Darin will put his arm around me and tell me I look great and that everything is okay. After the closing prayer I'll rush out and hole myself up in the nursery with those wonderful non-judgemental 2 year olds (b/c it's my calling, not b/c of the hair). By the time all the kids get picked up most everyone will already be gone so I'll be able to rush to my car unnoticed. Sounds simple enough but it's a traumatic experience for a girl like me. And then I'll have to do it all again the next week, and then over the course of the month hear those surprised "You got your hair cut!" comments as people notice.
Eventually I'll get used to the cut and hopefully actually like it, and then I'll kick myself for not doing it sooner. It's an evil, vicious cycle.

Can you tell my self analyzing habit often comes back to bite me?

For those of you with an opinion, I'd love some advice on what cut I should get. I'm looking for something medium short, maybe razor textured. My hair is naturally thin and super straight and I for sure what to get rid of the length near my face. So any ideas? And for you locals, anyone have a good trustworthy stylist they recommend?

Here's a pic I took today so you have something to go off of (dreadful, I know):

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Light salon is a great place , you even get a mini facial and a head massage. anyway if you go to a new talent stylist it is only 25 dollars. They are all pretty good over there. It is in the plaza across the street from walmart.

Anonymous said...

Kate! I am so proud of you. If I were in Ohio I would go with you. (tear that i'm not) Make sure you send me some pictures after you do it, I know they won't be "posted" for at least a month, until you like it that is. - Darin, take some pictures for me!

Tara said...

I feel the same way when I change something about myself...I don't want people to point it out or make a big deal...all they need to say is you look nice and leave it at that...I agree with Nikki...I love light salon.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am sure that whatever you choose you will look great. You are a beautiful woman and I love the shot you took of yourself. I always used to frequent the higher priced salons, now I am a fan of Famous Hair! LOL! Best of luck to you! Make sure you send me pictures when it is done!

leslie mae said...

Honestly... I love it long!! I don't think I've ever seen it that length. It really looks good on you! I am in the same situation though; my hair is longer than it's ever been and I'm thinking I'm due for a cut!!! Maybe I'll get it done just like you end up going!!!

Keri said...

Katie, Katie, Katie. I'm your big sister so can call you Katie. I love the cut you're thinking about. I have long hair and instead of cutting it off I put layers in it. My shortest layer is at my jaw line and they go down from there. It was enough of a change to give me something new yet a little different. I straighten it and that gives it extra shine. Let me know what you do. Darin, I'll be praying for you!! Miss you and love ya.