Sunday, July 14, 2013

Color in Motion/Girls Camp

Back in the spring I signed up to do my first 5k. I've always wanted to do one, and even more so, to train for one to get myself into better shape for Girls Camp After having so much fun at the color festival, I found out about this Color Run and couldn't resist signing up. I talked a sweet friend into signing up with me, but with me working we weren't able to train together, so I started training with my darling husband by my side. We'd put the kids in bed then hit the road following the Couch to 5k program. Those first several weeks were so cold! Darin was the best coach/cheerleader/trainer I could have hoped for. He encouraged me through those days of discouragement and kept me going. I couldn't have done it without him. Eventually I realized there was no way I could do the race without him so he signed up to join me. Fast forward to summer, once preschool let out I spent every day working on Girls Camp. The race was the Saturday before girls camp and as my stress about camp raised, my desire and energy for running disappeared. Running days became few and far between, not to mention the heat. I don't handle heat well and the thought of running in it was unbearable. So that last month before the race and camp I think we only ran once or twice. The friend I signed up to do the race with couldn't make it, so I was extra glad that Darin had agreed to join me. The morning of the race was so HOT! I couldn't take it, I ran for about 7 minutes before feeling like I was going to pass out (and I'm not exaggerating here, I really don't handle heat well at all). So we walked the rest of the way. I was disappointed, but at the same time my stress level for camp was so high I didn't even care about the race any more. We had fun, and I was in much better shape than when I started, and in much better condition to take on Girls Camp, which was my real goal anyway. So really it was a win-win.

With the race behind us it was back to camp planning. Darin and Calin left for scout camp on Monday morning leaving  me alone to finish camp prep so I could leave the next day. That was crazy stressful day! On top of shopping and packing I found that a package of raw meat had been left in my trunk for several days in the July heat. I so didn't want to be cleaning blood out of my trunk at 2am, but that's what I found myself doing.  I didn't get to bed that night until 5am, snoozed for about an hour, and was back up to finish packing. I think I felt just as stressed and crazy the rest of Girls Camp, too. I'm sure I was running on adrenaline alone since I didn't sleep much at all the entire week. But I made it through. I have lots of regrets about how things went and things I should have done. But it's over and I'm thankful for that. I think everyone had a good time, including myself, so I'm thankful for that.
The boys had a great time at scout camp as well. Calin went as an 11 year old scout, which was fine since Darin was there the whole time. We left Naiya at Missy's house, what a blessing it is to have them so close and so willing to help! I know it was not an easy week for Missy, but I am so so thankful for her help!

1 comment:

mom said...

Good job on completing your goal even if it changed. I'm sure camp was great. We are our own worse critic's you know.