Monday, August 17, 2009

Thoughts on moving.

Complete craziness has taken over my home this week. I remember a point early on in our marriage when I LOVED moving. We've been married 8 years, and this will be our 7th move. So far, this is the hardest one yet. I think that's understandable since we just got home from vacation, we have to do it all in a week and a half, Darin can't take any time off to help, and I'm also trying to squeeze in all the back to school crap, moving errands, lawn mowing, hair cutting, friend-visiting, cooking, and cleaning. I am a bit overwhelmed but so far I can handle it. I've had a few wonderful friends offer to take the kiddos for me and that's making all the difference.

My emotions have been on a roller coaster ride these last few weeks. I remember back when Darin and I were engaged and discussing our future. He knew I'd follow him wherever he wanted to go. However, he also knew that I didn't want to live in Utah, didn't ever want to return to Ohio, and that I would never live in Driggs. So far we're 3 for 3. Hmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern here....
At least we're headed back to Idaho. I really am excited about that part, I love it there. I get giddy thinking about being in the fresh mountain air under that enormous clear sky. And I'm so happy for Darin's new job, and not just because of the pay raise. He needs this change pretty badly. A few weeks ago he was on his way to visit a potential business customer when he changed his mind at the last minute and headed back to the bank instead. 20 minutes later, some men walked into that business and shot that man in the head. Add that to the several other murders that have happened near the bank in the last 2 years and we knew it was time for him to get out of there.
We had also talked about how we felt our time is done here, though at the time I didn't realize that meant it was finally time to move. I'd actually given up on that idea. Go figure. But of course a strange, seemingly coincidental trail of events led to the perfect timing of this new job and move. And as opposed as I was to it at first, I do feel that this is the Lord's will for us. And I am happy about it. Sad yes, but very happy too.
The best part is that I'll see Darin more, and he can be even more involved with the kids. He'll be able to come home for lunch, that's such a foreign concept, but thrills me to no end! He won't have to work late on Mondays anymore so he'll be home for FHE. No more late night Fridays either, I hated those. I know lots of gals have hubbies that don't come home until the kids are in bed every night and they're okay with that, but I hated Friday's for that reason. Hopefully there will be no more dinners without him either since the bank is so close to home. Awesome, huh? Yes, there are going to be many great things about this move and I'm excited to start this new chapter in our lives.

6 comments:

Missy said...

Glad you have found the positives! Remember them when you get down.
I would love to have Curtis home for lunch.

Keri said...

I am so happy your happy Kate. Just remember that when it snows next month and it doesn't go away until April. We love Idaho! Just ask Missy.

Dad said...

The Lord has his hand in this, so it has got to be a good thing. Be strong. Don't worry about the little things. They have a way of working them selves out. I'll help. Don't confuse that with me wanting to see you go. Good luck on your new great adventure.

Millie said...

I'm going to miss you. I can entertain the kids for a few hours to help you out. Just let me know.

Jennie said...

i am very excited for you! it sounds like it is going to be a great change! you will have to email out your new address when you get all settled!

good luck! :)

Nikki said...

Good Luck we will miss you.