Monday, February 13, 2012

Primary

I recently got called to be the 1st counselor in the Primary Presidency, and released from cub scouts. I'm sad to leave the scouts, I enjoyed that calling more than I ever expected to and really liked working with the boys and my partner. I will really miss it.
I am excited to be in Primary, but I'm nervous about the calling as well. I have always hated doing sharing time (or any public speaking for that matter). I don't like getting up in front of a group of people, I don't like attention on myself, and I am horrible at holding kids attention. So for me to do sharing time is very far outside of my comfort zone. And of course as it worked out, the week after I got called it was my month to plan sharing time, and also do conducting. Baptism by fire.
This was my second week doing sharing time, I had spent several hours every day working on it and still wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do. Then late Saturday night I got my idea for Senior Sharing time figured out, then went to take a bath. While in the tub I received an inspiration on what I could do for Jr Sharing Time. This inspiration made me smile for 2 reasons, first I remember my mom telling me how when she was the Young Women President and they would have planning meetings, they would get stuck and then one of her counselors would go take a shower and receive the needed inspiration. Second, it was neat because I rarely receive inspiration, so it was refreshing to know that the lines between Heaven and me are still open.
I wish I could say I had a super wonderful amazing idea and that it went over well, but that wasn't the case. It was a simple idea, but at least it was one I was comfortable presenting. And in Jr primary, in a room full of 3-5 year old kids they were bouncing off the walls and not listening at all, it really didn't go over well. But that's okay, at least I blanked out less this time than I did last. And I discovered it helps me to avoid eye contact with the adults, knowing they are all there staring at me and judging me makes it much harder. If it was just kids I wouldn't hate it so much. Everyone keeps saying it will get easier and I will get better at it. I just keep hoping they're right. I don't have to do it again until June and I hope to pick up a few tips between now and then. We'll see.

2 comments:

mom said...

Maybe you just don't always recognize it as inspiration. I agree that it will get easier the more you do it. Those adults aren't judging-they are glad it's you and not them trying to get/hold all those kids attention.
I've got a solution to doing it in June-come visit me!
I think you will be a great counselor. Just have a little confidence and realize those lines were never closed.
I smiled too at your bathtub inspiration. Love reminders and memories.

Keri said...

I love my shower inspirations. I receive alot of mine in the shower. It's where were most at peace. As far as primary goes. I think you're amazing. You are very creative and knowledgable. I think sharing time would be kinda really fun. Knock on wood. I'm happy with Activity Days.