Monday, February 20, 2012

Russell M. Nelson

We had a great stake conference today. Elder Russell M. Nelson from the Quorum of the 12 apostles came. It was such a great opportunity for us to have him, and he gave wonderful counsel. During his talk he asked the primary children to stand up where they were at and wave to him, then he asked them to sing to him the first verse of the "I am a Child of God." It was a beautiful thing to witness. He counseled parents on things we should teach our children and his talk, coupled with the talks of Sister and Brother Chambers (an area authority seventy), we were very spiritually fed today.
After the conference we waited in what the kids thought was a forever long line to be able to go shake his hand. They whined and complained but I insisted they do it. As we were nearing the stand where he was greeting people, he began walking down the stairs and through the line to greet people faster (and I imagine so he could get out of their quicker). He shook the boys hands, he said "hello, brother" to Calin. I was holding Naiya so she could greet him easier, he shook her hand and said "Hello, Angel, and asked her her name. She said it made her heart feel happy. I know they didn't love waiting, and Calin really didn't want to shake his hand at all, but I hope it's an experience they'll treasure. It's such a rare thing to be able to meet an apostle of the Lord and I couldn't have them missing out.

2 comments:

mom said...

Neat experience. Hopefully you had them journal their feelings. It's so nice to have experiences like that. I love the feeling of being spiritually fed. Especially when it happens in a meeting you're attending not just like when listening to conference. Kuddo's to you for making sure the kids had that chance to be there, sing to an Apostle, shake his hand, and feel the Spirit.

Keri said...

Very cool. What an amazing thing they experienced. They got to sing for an apostle.