Sunday, May 24, 2009

Happy Birthday, Calin!


Calin turned 7 this week. We kept things small this year, which he was fine with. He opened presents after school, then we took him out to dinner then had cake/ice cream when we got home. On Saturday we splurged and took the kids to see Monsters vs. Aliens then headed to the store so Calin could spend the birthday money Great-Grandma sent him. Our course he chose more Bakugan, his most recent obsession. The boys around here are gaga over these little meatball sized toys that open up to reveal transformer like creatures. Apparently there's a game, sort of like Pokemon I think. Darin has played it with Calin but I don't think I care enough to figure out the rules. I suppose you have to be a 7 year old boy to really appreciate these things.

Examining a new Bakugan

Calin has really grown up this last year. First grade did him a world of good and he has learned much more self control. He is behaving better at school, church, scouts, soccer, and even at home. He still has nightmarish moments now and then, but he has mellowed out a ton. And of course he still has that surprisingly sweet side that is hard to identify if you are too distracted by his intense energy. He is especially sweet to his sister. When she's sad he'll stop what he's doing to make silly faces at her until she smiles. He always shares his treats or opens hers before his own. On his b-day he let her blow out the last few candles on his cake. The other day I caught him saying "ladies, first" as he let her pass by him. He's going to be a good husband someday (much like his father), and spoil his sister with a bar set so high she may have a hard time finding a husband who can measure up.

He's a smart kid, he loves all things school. Books, math, reading, writing, gym, art, music, all of it. He even enjoys his homework, especially his math flashcards. He's always trying to beat his best time. He loves to read too. His maturity level is at the point that he prefers fun picture books over chapter books, but that will come in time. As long he's reading, I'm not too picky about his preferences. This summer we're going to read the Chronicles of Narnia, hopefully that will help spark his interest. Oh, and speaking of books, we finally added the last Laurie Keller book to our collection: Do Onto Otters; a Book about Manners. I hope she's writing more!
Calin is such a great kid and I truly love him to pieces. He is eager to do right and to be a good person, even if his impulses do get the best of him quite often. He's learning, he's growing, and he's changing. Some days I think there is no way I can possibly raise him correctly, that I am doing everything wrong. But other days I catch a glimpse of pure goodness in him that gives me a little bit of hope that maybe I'm doing a few things right after all. Or maybe that's just the way Heavenly Father made him and I haven't managed to screw it up yet. Either way, I've seen it so I know it's there. He's an amazing little person and my life is better because he's in it.
I love you kiddo. Happy Birthday!

7 comments:

Dan said...

Tender! I can't believe he's seven!

Dad said...

Happy birthday to Calin, and congratuations to the mom and dad that has survived his high energency.

Missy said...

Glad he had a good birthday! You guys are such a great family, I love you all.

Susan said...

Wait! I love Bakugan! And I would love to play the game...but I thought you had to have a lot of those meatballs and the cards. Am I wrong? Maybe Calin can teach me.

mom said...

Too much Bruderer in him-tongue sticking out. I'm sure Unc Dave would be proud. I've seen the growth in him, too. Also the sweet, tender side. He is a great kid and we love him.

Keri said...

Uhm, how did he get so big? I remember when he came out and all we could see was this red hair and wrinkled skin (like he was too little for his skin) He sure grew into it.

Celeste Jean said...

Happy Birthday! I hope my little red head grows up to be like you!