Monday, August 16, 2010

Moving in.

Moving has been interesting. I remember a time when I used to LOVE moving. 9 years worth of stuff, plus 2 kids and all their stuff, certainly puts a damper on moving. I like packing, don't mind cleaning, but it's the moving-in part that has gotten old. Just when you get things how they work for a space you have to step back and reconfigure it for a new (smaller) space. I put a ton of stuff into storage- toys, clothes, books, dishes, appliances, and still I'm having a hard time with this space. We put a lot of the boxes in the basement and many upstairs. Our closets are filled with them, as well as the corners of the bedrooms and we found that the ledge space under the vaulted ceiling in our bedroom was the perfect size for plastic totes. It's not ideal decor but as long as we're not tripping over them I couldn't care less. I just keep telling myself this is temporary.
Just how temporary is still undetermined. Our lease goes until April but we could have our house done before January. We've only been here a week and I'm pulling my hair out trying to keep the kids quiet so as not to disturb the neighbors too much. I've never looked so forward to school starting, just for the sheer relief it will offer my nerves. A routine will calm things down and make life easier for all of us. And then when they house is ready we'll get to do it all again. But somehow I don't think I'll mind our next move one teeny little bit. We're so beyond ready to settle down and live somewhere permanently. We've found a subdivision we can actually afford on our limited budget, we feel good about it, chose our house plan, picked out our lot, and paid the earnest money. I'm already anxious for it to be done and it hasn't even begun. But first things first and that's getting this townhouse livable and the kids into school. Then we'll go from there.

3 comments:

Keri said...

What exiting times. We've out grown this place and when we move, I'm calling you. You're the queen of packing!!!!

Welcome to my World. said...

I am so happy for you guys! I can't wait to hear about the progress of your new home.

Dad said...

I am so envious. I would like to be moving into a new house in that beautiful state of Idaho. I could get into moving there. I just wouldn't care for your windy city. Just give me a little town protected from the wind with mountains. Pocatello is protected by mountains. I forget the name of the canyon by Scout Mountain but it is beautiful up there.