Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Eye Dr

I know this is really weird, but I had a great visit with an optometrist today. I think what struck me most about this guy was that he reminded me of my father. He was super nice and friendly, and he seemed like he knew exactly what he was talking about. It helps that he was close to my dad's age and had served in the Ohio mission way back when.
I appreciate that he spent a lot of time on my appointment. He apologized for keeping me so long, but I was grateful that he took the time to talk to me about my vision. I was unhappy with my current contacts and so he recommended a new one, as well as a different lens cleaner. I guess I have very high pressure in my eyes, which leads to (or is) glaucoma. I've always had my eye pressure measured using the little eye puffer thing, you know that thing that blows air in your eye and completely sucks. I had no idea it was measuring eye pressure, you? This doctor used numbing eye drops and then used this glowy instrument that actually sat on my eyeball and measured the pressure. I didn't feel a thing. He said he has always used that tool and it is much more accurate than the eye puffer. Apparently the pressure in both of my eyes is high. The one eye is iffy, but the other definitely requires treatment. Luckily, there is an easy fix. I simply put in a drop of prescription eye drops every night and it should take the pressure down. Once you have any vision loss from glaucoma, you can't get it back, but using the drops will keep it from developing further. He said it's hereditary, so my relatives might be wise to have their eye pressure checked. And on that form where it asks if any of your relatives have glaucoma, you should now check the "yes" box. :)

1 comment:

mom said...

It runs in my side of the family. Good you had it checked.