Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Cars

Naiya is home sick today, she has a fever and so far I can't figure out what else is wrong with her. She woke up feeling pretty good (thanks to some middle-of-the-night ibuprofen) and we've had a good morning. We saw Calin off to school then got to work on her pinewood derby car. Calin designed a super thin car this year and Naiya staked claim on the chunk of wood Darin cut off of Calin's car.
 

She wanted me to sand it down and as you can see from the picture, it was pretty rough. So instead of spending forever doing it by hand I pulled out our nifty little palm sander and went to work.
I've never used this little tool before, but holy cow it was so much more effective than trying to do it by hand! And so much easier! The only hard part was trying to figure out how to get a good grip on it since it isn't designed to be used by child-sized hands.
Anyhow, Naiya liked the shape it already was in so all I had to do was smooth it out. Then she painted it light blue and girly-ed it up with a rose and a butterfly.

Now I have to figure out how to get wheels on it.
After she finished her car she did a bit more painting then declared she was going back to bed. She slept a few hours and her fever is back at 103. I suspect it could be an ear infection, but I'm going to give it another day to see if any symptoms emerge.

Calin's going to race this bad boy at the pack meeting tonight:

Calin decided on a black car with a giant bloodshot eyeball and a green angry eyebrow.

Unfortunately, due to it's thin size, we could only fit a couple of large washers in there to help weigh it down. It's no where near the weight limit, but what a fun design!

1 comment:

mom said...

Their cars are so personality inspired. Hope Calin did well. It's a fun time no matter what.
Hope you figure out what's wrong with Naiya or she gets better real quick.