Saturday, March 30, 2013

Festival of Colors

I heard about the Festival of Colors a few years ago and I have been itching to go ever since. Every spring there is a Hindu Holi festival that is celebrated down in Spanish Fork, Utah. They celebrate the beginning of spring and throw powdered colors at each other (there is more to it than that, but that's the easiest for me to understand). We headed down to Utah first thing on Saturday morning and went straight to the festival.
I took before and after photos, but did not dare take my camera with me, I really didn't want it covered in dyed cornstarch. Maybe next time I'll stick it in a ziploc and see if I can take photos through the plastic. We'll see.
I picked up white t-shirts at the thrift store. Calin was so mad that his said Yellowstone and he did not want to wear it. Such a funny kid!

   
I found this picture online, it shows the crowd around the temple.
Found this one on their facebook site. This is how it felt to be at the festival, it was a gorgeous day and the colors were so bright and fun! You couldn't help but feel happy.
 We parked at a highschool and took a bus to the temple ground, so much easier that way, and there was no line at the school like there was at the other pick up sites. We really lucked out!


The bandanas were to cover their faces when the color was flying so they weren't breathing it in.


The kids were very hesitant at first and weren't sure they wanted to go. But by the end they were having a blast throwing color. I hope they remember it and what a neat experience it was.






The color didn't stick to Darin's shirt very well, next time I'll make sure he has a better one.



So much fun!

2 comments:

mom said...

I had seen a clip on the news that was an action shot and it was beautiful. I wondered what the substance was that was being thrown, Corn starch huh. Never would have guessed. Neat, fun memories.

Missy said...

I am SO doing this with the kids one year.