Friday, May 23, 2008

Is it over yet?

As moms we tend to stress way too much over the little things. My most recent stress has been over Calin's b-day party. I must admit I was a bit relieved when I came down with strep and had to reschedule it b/c I wasn't quite ready. But even with an extra week of time I'm still running into snags. It really shouldn't be a big deal, or a deal at all. A bunch of kids playing pirate games and eating cake and icecream. It should be simple! But it seems like all possible irritants have united and plotted against me. Darin thinks I'm ridiculous that I need the house spotless and the lawn mowed and the games perfectly planned out for a bunch of 6 year olds. But I just can't help it, and I know there are many women out there just like me who get the perfection bug. Is there a cure?
My latest annoyances are the cake and the mower. My mower never starts on the first run. I don't know what's wrong with it (or me) but if I let it sit 20 minutes and try again it always starts right up. I should know this by now yet every time I allow myself to get mad and let it waste my time. Unfortunately I also forgot to fill the gas can and it takes 1 1/2 tanks to do our large yard, and there was only 3/4 in it to start with. So only half the yard is done and I don't want to haul the kids down to the gas station when I've got dinner to cook and soccer practice. :(
Second is the cake. I'm attempting to turn two round cakes into a pirate ship. I got them assembled and frosted and put it in the fridge to set up before I added the decor.But when I went to show Calin we found that it had cracked apart. So now all of my hard work is going to have to be redone, you know after dinner, after soccer, after the gas station, after mowing, and after yet another trip to walmart to get back up ingredients. *sigh* Anyone want some crumbled cake? Come pick it up and it's yours!

On a lighter note from my vent, I love when kids squeeze into little places:

4 comments:

Dave said...

I claim the crumbly cake!!! Actually, you should just make that cake into a rival ship that the pirate ship has pillaged and then bombarded with cannon balls! Ta-Da!

Nicole said...

I was talking with my sister-in-law, and I think I've decided just to buy birthday cakes. Then (hopefully) I can just enjoy their birthday, and not spend hours preparing. But...also I have no idea how to decorate cakes:) I can't believe Calin is already 6 yrs!

Nicole said...

I get crazy about having things perfect too. I'm already stressing about sio's bday in july and isabelle's 1st bday. 1st bdays are a huge party here. Aisea also doesn't understand, I think men just way more laid back.

Keri said...

Here's something I did for 2 of Kenzie's parties, I made cupcakes and let the kids decorate their own. I took white frosting and split it up into different containers and colored them all diff colors. Then I put little bowls of sprinkles on the the table and let the kids go at it. The next year I made it even easier. I laid a paper table cloth on the floor of the kitchen put all the fixin's on it and when kids were done, I folded it up with everything in it and threw it all away. Clean-up done!