Friday, March 25, 2011

Science night

The kids had a fun engineering day at school yesterday and learned about all things science. Then last night, families were invited to come so the kids could teach us what they learned. Each classroom was set up with something different to learn about so we wandered from room to room checking out all the neat stuff.
In Calin's classroom all the desks had been pushed back so you could look at the displays. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a random square of tape on the floor in one of the corners. I thought, "hm, that's odd, I wonder what it's for." And half a second later I started laughing b/c I realized it's not a square, it's a box! Calin's box to be exact. He was out for a week and couldn't handle it so he's back in. It just seems to work better for him to have that boundary to help him stay in control.
After the event we visited with the principal to discuss the most recent issues with Calin. I really don't know what I'm going to do with this child. How do you make someone want to behave?

2 comments:

mom said...

My light dawned as soon as you said a box marked off on the floor. Sorry for Calin to need it. Great teacher for working with Calin and recognizing his potential. Did the principal offer any suggestions? Sounds like a neat science night. What did the kids classes do?

Keri said...

I'm laughing so hard right now. Calin's box. It's so sad, yet so funny at the same time. I'm glad it works. Maybe Xander should have a box too.