I'm trying to get Calin more involved in the kitchen. A boy should know how to cook, and I figure if he's old enough to read well and understands fractions, then it's time he learns. First things first though, learning to follow a recipe. I don't want him to be one of those guys who can only cook eggs and man the grill. I want him to be able to make dinner too. As a missionary, I'm sure he'll be content to eat hot dogs and mac & cheese every night, probably even as a college student. But one day he'll have a girl he wants to impress and what better way than a home cooked (man-cooked) meal? Someday he'll have a family and I dearly hope he'll be like his father. If he comes home from work and the house is a mess, and the kids are screaming, and his wife looks exhausted, I hope he'll be wise enough to step in and make dinner. And he can't do that unless I teach him how. And so begin the cooking lessons. First up: Sweet and Sour Chicken
He's not quite ready to handle raw meat, so I had him make the sauce instead. He did it mostly by himself, he read the recipe, found the ingredients, sorted through measuring cups. He did need a little help with the measuring since he hasn't yet learned the basic things. He hasn't learned to pay attention to detail yet as he was ready to fill a 1/2 cup with garlic powder instead of a 1/2 tsp. And he needed to be taught to take the shaker top off the garlic powder to fill the measuring spoon, not just try to shake in the right amount. But I realize doing it on his own (supervised) is going to be the best teacher. He's helped me bake cookies and treats plenty of times, but I've always just measured the ingredients then let the kids dump them in and take turns stirring.
Anyway, he did a good job on the sauce. I hope getting him more involved will help him eat better. One thing I love about Darin is that he NEVER complains about my cooking. I'm not a very good cook to begin with, but when something burns or turns out completely wrong, he laughs along with me and encourages me. Not once has he ever criticized what I made or how I made it. He just eats it and thanks me.
I need to figure out how to get my kids to do that. Naiya doesn't complain much, she is very much into eating healthy foods and is pretty open to trying new things. Calin though, what a bugger. I do admit he has been much better about it as he has gotten older, he complains less but still won't eat many foods. My goal is to have them accept what they're given and say thank you, so that when we are at other people's homes they won't be rude and turn their noses up to the cooking. Calin is learning though, the other day we had chimichangas and he quietly picked out the red bell peppers as he ate. I think I need to institute a no-tolerance policy for complaints to the chef. You complain, you spend dinner in your room and don't eat until breakfast. It's exhausting to put time and effort into making a meal only to hear someone whine about it. I want Calin to learn now that it is not acceptable, so that he never does it on his mission, or to his wife. I don't think that's unreasonable. And I don't care if he misses a meal, he won't starve. Hopefully, he'll learn it's better to eat dinner than go hungry, and I won't have to say a word. Love and Logic would be appalled if I thought about saying "I told you so" or even pointed out to him the lesson he should have learned. Kids learn through experience and they don't need an adult to rub salt in the wound.
Wow, I just realized what a rambling tangent that was. Anyhow. I'm teaching Calin how to cook. Yay!
6 comments:
maybe I should get Trin more involved. I HATE HATE HATE the dinner battle. Drives me nuts.
Best lesson ever!! I remember as a kid my mom got sick of us complaining about what she cooked for dinner. So her solution was for us each to pick one meal a week. Us kids had to cook that meal we wanted and the rest of the family had to eat it. No complaints! We all learned to cook, we all got to eat something we wanted to eat at least one day a week. Naturally, I hated it as a kid but I am grateful as an adult for my mother on that one!
Your last couple sentences just made me giggle. Probably because I could totally hear you saying those words then the yea!
What a great thing to do. It will be very beneficial as he goes thru his life and yes his wife will appreciate it. I've been lucky cause your dad's been the same to never complain. Of course he loves to eat but he could put a meal together too.
Remember when you spent a month learning to plan recipes and then cooking them for one of your YW projects? I sure liked having that month off.
I also remember one of your brother's making a cake and putting in a cup of oil instead of the 1/3 cup it called for. It was an interesting cake.
Love this idea! Maybe Calin could share his favorite or accomplished recipes with our kiddos? I love your parenting, you always help me along my parenting journey!
yay for you...yay for calin. Jordan is a great cook, I made difference between him and the girls...at least I hope I didn't.
Post a Comment