Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Piano

We've been wanting a piano for forever and we finally bought one off the Bulletin Board at BYU-Idaho. It's an old beat up thing, but it does the job. I think it's probably better that it's been so abused, then I won't be crazy over-protective of it. My kids are old enough to be nice to it, but accidents do happen, and I do have smaller monkeys in the house on occasion.
At some point the piano was painted black and the paint is worn or chipped in parts, so I'll have to touch those up somehow. And it has this horribly ugly music stand board that is obviously not original to the piano. It looks like someone just cut a board and screwed it on. I'll have to see if I can replace that with something nicer.
Since the keys are already chipped, the Ivanator can bang on it all he wants.
First though, I need to find a piano teacher and get Calin into lessons. He enjoys playing and still remembers  a song he made up when we lived in Driggs. I do hope he takes to it. I'd love to have a piano player in the house. Darin began lessons as a kid, and although he doesn't regret quitting, I really wish he hadn't. He has a lot of musical talent and will sit down and play these beautiful haunting melodies he makes up. He can't read music so he just plays from memory and feeling. I look forward to hearing him tinker around on it even more than I look forward to the kids playing.
So I think it's a going to be a good investment. Someday we'll upgrade to something prettier, but this certainly work great in the meantime.

6 comments:

Susan said...

oh Kate! Good for you...no...GREAT for you. There's nothing like having a piano in the home. But there's no reason why you can't learn. Get an adult beginning book. Get on Skype with me and i'll give you lessons for free. you are going to love this wonderful instrument.

leslie mae said...

I've got the name of a GREAT teacher for you! She doesn't live far from you and she has a lot of experience. Let me know if you'd like me to send you her info! You should start Naiya too!

Welcome to my World. said...

Calin and teach Darin ;)

Welcome to my World. said...

that should say Calin CAN teach Darin...

Missy said...

I wish we had a piano. I would love to get Trin in lessons. Find one on the bulletin board for me too.

mom said...

I'm excited for you. I know how much you've wanted one. Sounds like Leslie Mae has a teacher suggestion for you so that's great. Fun times coming for all of you. Congrats!