Thursday, September 1, 2011

As for me

Life is little bit strange for me lately. I'm a 30 year old stay-at-home mom whose kids are in school full time. I'm left with 6 1/2 hours a day all to myself, which is a big change compared to the short hours of preschool and kindergarten. I've always figured that when I got to this point in my life, I'd get a job and help out financially. But as I've been praying and seeking guidance about what I should do with my new free time, working doesn't feel right, at least not right now. Instead, I feel I need to be patient and wait, and when the time and opportunity comes, I'll recognize it. In the meantime, I need to work on me, and on getting my life in order. I need to follow the counsel in the scriptures to:
 
"Organize [myself]; prepare every needful thing, and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;" (Doctrine and Covenants 109:8).

I've been in a spiritual slump for the last several years and it's time I rise above it, turn my life over to God, and live in harmony with the gospel. It's a season for change in my life. My afternoons will still be dedicated to overseeing homework and chauffeuring for extra curricular activities. My mornings and evenings will be still be filled with meal prep and chaotic family time. But it's those new quiet daytime hours that I'm looking forward to, hours spent alone without the demands of a family pressing on me.  A time for me to do the things I enjoy doing, and to work on my own mental, physical, and spiritual well being.
I will continue helping in the kid's classrooms and of course with the PTO, but for the most part, that time will be mine. I'll use it to clean and organize the house to my liking. I want to do better with emergency preparedness and learn how to use all that wheat in my food storage. I'm going to be more consistent with planning Family Home Evening and teaching my children the gospel. I'm planning to attend the temple weekly, and start on family history and maybe indexing. I'd like to get into a consistent exercise routine and plan healthy meals so that I can shed all these extra pounds I've been holding onto since Naiya was born. I'm excited to clean the house without kids making messes in my wake, and to read without anyone interrupting to whine or tattle. It's going to be a  good season for me. I'm going to spend my time doing things that make me happy. And when mom is happy, everyone's happy.

4 comments:

mom said...

You've obviously put much thought and prayer into what you should and want to do. I believe your Temple attendance will help everything else fall into place. You've set great goals in a lot of different areas so take it slow and you'll accomplish what you want. You and your family will grow and benefit as you accomplish those goals. I'll be praying for you.
(I'll be excited if you start indexing.)

Darin H. said...

Remember that blessing you got. There were some great promises in there and some worthy instructions as well. I love you and I know that as you work (and we work together) to increase the spirituality of our family, and ourselves, that you will be given the answers and direction that you are looking for.

Darin H. said...

Oh and I think that you should just suck it up and run for Governor of Idaho...if Arnold can do it for California and almost bankrupt the place you will have no problems.

Keri said...

It's Never too Late
To Vote for Kate!