Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Kindergardener by day-Superman by night

Today was Calin's first official day of school (yesterday was a shorter day for orientation). He has been so excited to go and is doing great (these kinds of things don't phase him). I handled it pretty well too. I dropped him off and didn't really think twice about it, probably b/c the kids were distracting me. Naiya freaked out b/c she wanted to go on the school playground (we go there often but it's off limits during school hours) and I spent the entire morning explaining to Calin (again) why I am taking him to school and not allowing him to ride the bus. It is really bumming him out, which is bumming me out. But I've got my reasons and now I keep trying to convince myself I'm doing the right thing.


I did get a bit teary eyed after school when he told me about his day. He was so excited to tell me everything they did and he was just beaming. I felt so proud of him for how he is growing up but at the same time so sad that he is. This is such a hard stage of life for me but even so I wish it would last forever and that he would always be so innocent and happy. Bittersweet for sure.

It reminded me of one of my favorite quotes by Neal A. Maxwell:

"We salute you, sisters, for the joy that is yours as you rejoice in a baby’s first smile and as you listen with eager ear to a child’s first day at school which bespeaks a special selflessness...You rock a sobbing child without wondering if today’s world is passing you by, because you know you hold tomorrow tightly in your arms."


He had his 5 year check up/physical for school today (yeah, it's a few months late) and all is normal and healthy. He was telling the nurse about using Naiya's doctor kit at home so she asked him if he wanted to be a doctor when he grows up. He of course informed her he doesn't want to be a doctor, he wants to be superman. I love hearing him say that, he believes it with all of his little heart! And by the way, he insists on being Superman for Halloween for the 3rd year in a row. Which is fine by me. I will have to get him a new costume but at the rate I'm going it will be a worthwhile investment since he'll probably be wearing it for the next 3 years. I love that kid!

Here are some completely unrelated pics from the county fair last week:





Naiya's first taste of cotton candy. She loved it after she got over her initial reaction of "what the heck!?"


Peeking under the seats during our first real live train ride

3 comments:

Meta said...

super sweet entry! i know what you mean about bittersweet moments sending your babies off into the world!

so funny that we both went to Palmyra and Niagara!!! We should've meet for donuts! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, It makes me sad to think Calin is old enough for Kindergarten. What a cutie.

I hope he does become superman when he grows up. I guess I won't be hemming a costume this halloween so it fits for all the years to come.

Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Opps, forgot to claim that last one! it was from me!