Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Homework never hurt anyone, except mom!


Today starts a new saga of drama in our household: Homework. And I was naively optimisitc about how it would go over.
I figured after lunch during Naiya's nap would be the perfect time to start but all he could think about were the leftover brownies. His first assignment was to practice writing his name by holding the pencil correctly. I kept trying to show him but he'd go back to the old way as soon as he started writing. So I put my hand on his to assist, big mistake. He got angry at my "help" and quickly jerked his hand away from mine accidently stabbing me in the face with the freshly sharpened pencil. 1/4 of an inch over and it would have planted itself directly into my eyeball.
As you can imagine neither of us was very thrilled with this experience. So we took a break. Calin had a brownie and I accepted the fact that he needs more than just a lunch break between school and homework. We tried again later and it was smooth sailing after that. The kid is a perfectionist. The C looked like a J so he had to erase and rewrite it. The A looked like a Q so he had to erase and rewrite it. He couldn't just let it go figuring the other 43 times he wrote his name would make up for it. Each one had to be perfect. It was soooo hard to sit back and shut my mouth letting him do it his way and not rush him along.
He worked on it all evening, quite happily I might add. He even finished with enough time left over to complete his second assignment. He was so proud of himself and I'm pretty proud of him too. And I once again feel optimistic about homework since Calin loves learning and understands that practice will help him get better. Woohoo! Way to go Calin!

He had to draw 3 things starting with "C" and the seemingly random line is the super long mouse cord.

1 comment:

Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

congratulations Calin! (and Kate).

Love you guys! - P. N.& T.