Monday, August 11, 2008

Mom Moments/House Update

Calin's learning to ride his bike w/out the training wheels. We've never had sidewalks for him to ride on, even with training wheels, so he has very little experience on a bike. But still we set out to the playground to help him learn. The kid had a huge grin on his face the entire time and had full trust in his father that he would not let him fall. He needs to work on his balance still but he'll have it down in no time. It was really fun to watch him work so hard at it and try to keep his balance while laughing so much. It was a nice mom moment for me to watch their father and son moment.
Afterwards, we drove up to the beach to watch the sunset over Lake Erie (I know I am the most anal person when it comes to kids bedtimes, but they had napped so I let it go and they stayed up until 10- gasp!). We decided to wade in the water, which meant Calin swam, Darin was drenched, and Naiya threw rocks in the water while I just sat back and took it all in. It was such a great evening and I couldn't stand to leave. We ended up going back the next day, this time with swimsuits and a picnic.
To me, this is what parenting is all about. I love those carefree moments. I admit I'm wound pretty tightly so it's quite a treat when I can actually relax and just enjoy my family without worrying over the small stuff.
Unfortunately, the camera was dead before we made it to the sunset. I checked it just to be sure and was able to get one quick picture before it shut off and refused to turn back on for even a second. Yes she's in her undies, she didn't like her skirt getting wet.

The house is coming together. Darin and I got a lot done this weekend and I'm really pleased with the results. Darin mowed for me and we focused on cleaning out the living room and finally finished the laundryroom/pantry. I'm actually thrilled to do the laundry today, it's been quite a chore with how many boxes had ended up in there.
I did the garage a few weeks ago so the only thing left is the master bedroom, which only has a few boxes of random miscellaneous crap. Other than that, there's just a few odds and ends of things sitting around. But I can now walk through the house without tripping or climbing over anything (except toys) so I'm happy. The rest of the week is booked so I won't be able to work on the house, but I should be able to finish it up next week while Darin is out of town, right in time for school to start and then a visit from my mother-in-law.
I'm sad that summer is ending but I love autumn and am already looking forward to picking apples, making pies, and halloween fun. I think we've got some really great months ahead of us! :)

3 comments:

leslie mae said...

Way to Go Calin!! It's a HUGE deal for a kid to ride his bike w/o those darn training wheels!! Hopefully he comes out of it without any tramatic scars!! Cute picture of Darin & Calin!

Nothing is more awesome than a sunset and water!!! TOO FUN!!!!

ben said...

Irish was doing good with the bike riding thing until she flipped herself head over handlebars. now she just give up and won't try.

ps you, wound up tightly. i would have never guessed.

Keri said...

Kenzie came running in one day and said, I did it. That's how she learned. All on her own basically. I think the balance beam helped her with her balance.