I've got to be honest. I sometimes have a hard time accepting new callings in the church.
Back when Naiya was new to nursery it was complete and utter chaos in there. Too many kids, not enough structure. And she did not deal well at all. So I went with her for about 6 months.
The nursery was then split and the chaos subsided and Naiya's need for me vanished. I was now free to attend relief society and enjoy a kids-free 2 hour break. Or so I thought. Wouldn't you know I was called to be a nursery worker. I thought they were going to give me the dreaded primary teacher calling, but was relieved that it was just nursery. It's not really what I wanted, but it was a good calling for me. I used to feel sorry for those nursery workers but soon came to realize it's the best kept secret in the church. Toys, books, games, snacks, no shoes, short lessons, great kids. I loved that calling. It was tough at times and difficult for me to handle, but still I loved it.
I remember before I was called another one of the workers was released, and she told me was sad about it and not at all ready to go. I couldn't comprehend this but after serving myself I soon understood. The spirit is so strong with those small children. They're a great deal of fun. Yes it got stressful to stay on the rigid schedule our leader wanted us on, but still I loved it. I thought I'd be in the calling for about a year, but was released after 6 months, and felt the same feelings my friend had felt, I was sad and not ready to go. And I was concerned about why I had been released. Did the other workers dislike me? Was I not doing a good enough job? Did I do something wrong? It haunted me for a few months but eventually I realized it didn't matter and let it go.
Upon my release I was extended a new calling to teach primary. Luckily nursery had softened my heart and I was able to accept the calling with less dread than I expected. So for a year I taught the CTR 7 class. Teaching is definitely not one of my talents. It's not that I don't love being with those kids, I think they are great, but I'm an awful teacher. I don't know how keep kids attention or how to get them to sit down and listen. I would have been content to skip the lessons and listen to them talk about their Webkinz and basketball games and birthday parties. Some weeks were great though, I loved when they'd stop me in the middle of a sentence to ask me random questions like "What's a sin?" or "Who is Satan?"
Some days I felt like I did a good job in these 2 callings, but some days I'd leave church and vow to stop going altogether so they'd be forced to release me. Extreme I know, but I tend to get overly irrational when I'm upset, tired, and hungry. It's a lethal combination for my sanity.
So this year, the primary presidency has given us new assignments. I was hoping for an older class but you know that didn't happen. I've been asked to teach Sunbeams. My response was complete fear. I could barely handle 7 year olds and now they want me to take on 3 year olds? Ha!
One plus side, I only have 3 kids. They decided to split our 10 sunbeams into 3 classes to avoid the chaos that ensued with 2008's sunbeams. I can handle 3 3 year olds. Right? I hope so.
I taught this class for the first time on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised at how well it went. For being fresh out of nursery these little ones did a great job. I have Naiya, and 2 of my friends children, both of whom I adore and taught in nursery. We also had another little boy who was visiting. Boy were they cute. The 2 girls couldn't stop giggling at each other, the one boy had a hard time sitting, and the other flat out refused to participate. Hmmm, not much different than the 7 year olds!
They were 100x better than what I was expecting and though I know it will be challenging at times, I'm really looking forward to working with them.
I get way too worked up over new callings. Yes they can be difficult and I will have a love/hate relationship with them, but I shouldn't be as scared of them as I am. I need to learn to relax and trust that they are inspired and that this is where the Lord wants me to be. And so with this latest calling I'm going to do my best to have my lessons prepared and my patience intact. And I'll try not to be too envious of the other teachers who's kids actually sit and listen and learn. My kids are not only super cute and fun, but if they're anything like last years sunbeams, I'll get in an extra sabbath day workout. Can't beat that!
7 comments:
funny how with three classes they put you as Naiya's teacher. I wouldn't have done Trin's class.
We had 3 sunbeam classes last year. They each had about 10 kids!
Sunbeam teacher was definately one of my all time favorite callings. The lessons were fun and the kids are so eager to learn. I still think of all those kids as my kids. Strange that the older classes are now in YW and the last class I had are now 10.
It's a great overwhelming love to teach the children in the nursery. Unfortunately after my brain surgery, my head cannot handle the noise. I don't know if I could do it. Though if I was called to do it, I would at least try. Enjoy the calling. You'll do great.
You've gotta start giving yourself more credit. You'll be great. Hopefully the kids will be too. You'll learn lots from each other I bet.
Reading this was like reading about myself, especially when it came to the 7 yr. olds. I have that class and it went from 7 to 12 kids and I just got a message on facebook that it grew. Yikes. I'm sure you're great, and the sunbeams will love you!
Robert had the Star Babies once and suddenly I got called as Sunbeam teacher...so I had the Beamers. The best trick or should I say technique to learn is to change up what you do with the class every xminutes. so for the 3 year olds, every 3 minutes change up what you do. Teach for 3, sing for 3, walk around the table repeating a lesson thought for 3, play for 3, lesson for 3. Same as with the 7 year olds...just switch up every 7 minutes. Whatever age, they just cannot sit and do the same thing for a long period of time...Wait, does that mean I have to be able to do something for an hour? You've got to be kidding! I must not be 60...I must be 17!
I love nursery too. I must I kept the calling for almost 3 years. Now we are officially done with nursery. Dawson is a sunbeam!! Tyler got called to teach Xander's class. So he's still with kids. And get this he teaches our origional nursery kids. We started with Xander and ended with Dawson.
Post a Comment