Thursday night I had a nice conference with Calin's teacher. He is doing well with his school work and his behavior is improving. He's becoming less impulsive, listens better, and doesn't run as much as he used to.
His teacher said she's become pretty attached to him. The other day during seat work she had to ask him to be quiet, but then found out he was just explaining the assignment to a classmate who didn't understand. I guess he has helped this girl a lot since then (she is a little behind academically). I can picture Calin doing that, I've seen him take Naiya under his wing in the same way. He is often aware of and sensitive to those kinds of things. I'm glad his teacher is able to see his sweet side b/c he really does have a lot of layers.
I think she's a great teacher. I love that it's her first year and she's got so many fresh ideas and lots of energy. I was worried about her inexperience at first, but she's been wonderful for Calin. She's able to tease him in a fun way and I'm very happy with how much he's learning. She's aware of his needs, like the fact that the desks are too big for 1st graders and he's one of the smaller kids so he has a harder time sitting still in them (now that I can relate to 100%). He also has a hard time b/c he gets done with his seat work quickly and gets bored waiting for the other kids to finish. She recognizes this and I think she's going to give him some extra assignments to keep him occupied.
He really is a sweet boy. Before I left for conferences he wrapped his arms around me and asked politely, "Mom, is there anything I can do for you?" Darin and I exchanged surprised glances and then he lectured me to stop worrying about Calin so much. I know I can be irrational when I worry, but nothing is more important to me than my children. I just want them to grow up right.
5 comments:
Who is his teacher?? I wasn't that impressed with Noah's First grade Teacher but if I could get a good one for Ian. . .
I really enjoyed this post, Kate. Working all day with kids who need a little something extra has helped me to understand where they're coming from and not just demand perfection or at least obedience. Keep up the good work.
He us a good boy and will be fine. People never saw that 'other' side of David [sorry for mentioning you when you read this, David] either. It was very unfortunate for him and them. How lucky Calin is that this 'new' teacher recognized it and works with him. Maybe that's because she is new and not set in her ways. Calin has now made it easier for all the Calin's that follow. I used to worry about what the paper work said that followed your brother. It can be very influetial in how the next teacher perceives a kid. I remember when I worked at the school some teachers said they avoided reading those comments so they could form their own opinions. Hurray for those kinds of teachers. Sorry this is so long-I should have just called you.
I think your kids are absolutley wonderful. I love Calin's energy (course, I don't live with it) and Naiya's easy laugh.
You are doing 'em right girlie.
Love your comment mom and dan.
Kate, bottom line... your kids rock!
Post a Comment