Saturday, May 29, 2010

Calin's Baptism

Calin got baptized today. It was a seriously wonderful day. First off, we had lots of family come. 3 of my siblings (Keri, Missy, and Dan) and their families came, along with Darin's parents and my grandparents from Star Valley. We got everyone assembled at the church and I snapped a few photos while we were waiting to get started.







We were pretty sad that not all our family could be with us on this special day. I'm including a picture of the program for my mother's sake, hopefully she doesn't feel too excluded. (click to enlarge)


I thought it'd be really sweet if Naiya did a musical number for the baptism, but I knew she couldn't handle it alone. Calin is an excellent singer, and since he always plays shy, I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity for him to sing in front of a crowd. We practiced for weeks and the kids did wonderful. I messed up and played the track that included words, instead of just the accompaniment, but you could still hear the kids okay. I'm going to include the video in a separate post b/c I'm having a hard time loading it.

I thoughts the talks went well, I spoke about baptism and how the steps leading to it are the same steps that lead to Heaven. Grandpa Herzoff had some wonderful stories about the Holy Ghost, and then Sister Jensen presented Calin with a cool baptism box and explained what all the goodies inside represented.


I thought it all went really well and I was happy with the way things turned out. After the service was over we headed back to my house for lunch and enjoyed playing for the rest of the day. He got to open several gifts, which felt like his b-day all over again, and he finally got his own set of scriptures.

Of course looking back now I wish I had gotten a photo of the whole group, and more of just Calin and our family, but I didn't think about it at the time. I'm proud of Calin for making the choice to get baptized and proud of the young man that he is becoming. He's the perfect mix of sweet and crazy and fun and I'm so thankful Heavenly Father sent him to me.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I can't believe he's 8! Wish we could have been there to see it. Give his extra hugs from us!

Dad said...

That made out. That primary person really went to extra lenghts. It is so good to have people go that extra mile.

Susan said...

what an amazing baptism box. all kids should receive such a complete box of instructions (if you will). Amazing. tell your prez I am impressed.