I had a horrible Mommy scare today. I had to be at the church for Activity Days right after school but I had forgotten to tell Calin to walk over there when he got out of school. I stopped at the school on my way to church to tell him to meet me there but his class was still gone on their field trip. No problem, I thought, I'll just run over and pick him up before the girls get there.
I went to pick him up a few minutes late and when I got to the school he was gone, not on the playground where he should have been waiting. They had seen him earlier but didn't know where he went. Okay, he's probably in the gym looking for me at the Book Fair. Nope, he wasn't there and they hadn't seen him. Well, maybe he's in class getting his stuff. Nope, his teacher hadn't seen him since school got out. Maybe he thought he had baseball and walked out to the field? I hopped in my car and drove over there, but nope. Maybe he thought it was scouts today and got on the bus? I drove over to check the kids who were still waiting for a bus, but the teacher hadn't seen him. Maybe he realized I was at the church and went there? I raced back over to the church (it's a 30 second drive but I was in tears by the time I parked the car).
I rushed inside and there he was looking for me. "Where were you, Mom?" I hugged him and cried from fear, panic, and relief all at the same time. This whole fiasco took less than 10 minutes but the realization that I didn't have any clue where my son was hit me hard and got worse each minute. All the worst case scenarios flashed through my head and I would have gone into complete hysterics if he hadn't been at the church. I kept telling myself to calm down but, I couldn't listen to reason.
Calin too was concerned b/c he couldn't find me. He went to the playground where he was supposed to be, but I wasn't there to pick him up. He checked the book fair for me. Then he saw the girls walking to the church and realized I had Activity Days so he walked over to find me. He saw my car there, but then he couldn't find me inside. I must have left right after he walked in and we missed each other. Poor kid. The other Activity Days Leader saw him and had tried to call me but I didn't have my phone, I had left my purse (and Naiya) at the church b/c I was only going to be gone for a minute. How stupid. But I guess it's a good thing b/c I would have called Darin and really gone into hysterics telling him our son was missing. Glad that didn't happen. I was panicked, but I hadn't reached crazy yet.
Everything worked out. My son is smart enough to figure things out, and that makes me proud of him. Tomorrow he turns 8, and the fact that he's growing up is wonderful and scary and sad all at the same time. He's such a great kid and I love him somethin' fierce.
6 comments:
The kid figured out where you were suppose to be and went there. You should of realized that at eight years old he would figure that out. I was wondering what the worse case scenario for Driggs, Idaho woul be. Racoons chasing him into a foxes lair, and the fox's kits taking him down and licking his face. You live in a good place don't think of it like it is Cleveland Ohio.
Oh, and a very happy birthday to Master Calin Michael Herzoff.
What a scary time you had. Ten mins can seem like a life time when your child is involved. Sounds like you both learned something from the experience so just remember those things and keep them in mind for the next 'crisis'. I'm sure you and Calin discussed the shoulda, coulda, woulda...
Hard to believe that young man is 8 already. Where did the years go?
Kate-
I feel for you. I had lost my son for about that time or longer at a water park in Denver. A thousand miles or more away from home. When reading this, I knew excatly how you felt and was teary eyed. Yes, there were lessons that were learned definately.
wow! what a story. thank you for the happy ending.
I feel for you! Sorry you had to go through that. I lost Trin in a store once, for 3 minutes tops, I would have really freaked it is was 10.
Katie i teared up as I was reading. But eventhough you live in a nice area tell him not to trust anyone and to be very carefull of who he comes across. I am glad he was alright...my heart unstood your hysteria.
Post a Comment