I love our hodgepodge tree, it's my favorite part of Christmas decorating. I love a tree full of unique ornaments that give it character, each one different, many with a special meaning. My grandmother gives us a new ornament each year, starting when we are born, so that when we got married we'd have our ornament collection started. She still continues that tradition, as do my parents for my kids. We also have tons of crafted ornaments that the kids have made and it means so much to them to have those on the tree. I love Christmas ornaments!
Welcome to my blog! Here you'll find pictures of my life as well as the ramblings and rants from my easily sidetracked mom brain.
Friday, November 26, 2010
Oh Christmas Tree
I love our hodgepodge tree, it's my favorite part of Christmas decorating. I love a tree full of unique ornaments that give it character, each one different, many with a special meaning. My grandmother gives us a new ornament each year, starting when we are born, so that when we got married we'd have our ornament collection started. She still continues that tradition, as do my parents for my kids. We also have tons of crafted ornaments that the kids have made and it means so much to them to have those on the tree. I love Christmas ornaments!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are smart! I know some years when we are not going to be home for Christmas we minimize what we decorate. If the kids are happy with the tree then you succeeded! Besides, you can make it more about other facets of Christmas... Like the new house!
I'm glad you decided to compromise. I was afraid with what you said when we talked that you wouldn't. The kids need their tree. I always tell dad not to worry about the back cause it's stuck in the corner anyway. Who sees it. I'm also glad you appreciate the memories that go with all those mismatched ornaments. The heck with decorator trees that have no meaning.
Oh kate...you are so correct. These theme Christmas trees drive me nuts. While they maybe beautiful to behold, I question where the fondness is, the connection to certain ornaments. My mom did the same as your grandmother. I did the same for my kids and when they got married they continued to get the ornament until they had kids...then the grands all get one each year. Same as my tree...with the touch of each one, I remember a memory and often tear up...but love them all..old and new.
Post a Comment