Monday, April 2, 2012

Tooth Fairy Fail + Shorts Battle = Monday.

This morning I was greeted by a sad-faced 6 year old whose lone tooth still lay under her pillow where she had left it the night before. The tooth fairy hadn't come! So sad! We continued on with the morning and just as we were cleaning up breakfast I heard a strange sound, it was a beautiful, magical sound and it seemed to be coming from Naiya's bedroom. We headed upstairs to investigate and sure enough, the tooth fairy had come in the morning while we were downstairs! She left Naiya a note apologizing for being late and explained that lots of children had lost teeth yesterday and so she was having a very busy night. Naiya was so excited that the tooth fairy not only knew her name, but even spelled it correctly! And she was happy to have 4 shiny quarters to add to her collection. What a thoughtful tooth fairy, and how lucky we are that she saved the day at the last minute!

This morning I was also greeted by a bare legged little man. He was all smiles as he tried to convince me it was going to be hot  today and he should definitely wear shorts. I asked him to change and then went about the morning getting breakfast and hearing magical sounds and what not. I was just shooing the kids out the door when I noticed my defiant little man was still wearing shorts. We pulled up the weather report on the computer and I assured him it was only 23 degrees and that it would only get to 43* by the end of the school day. In his mind that meant it was going to be HOT and LOTS of other kids would be wearing shorts and he would be sweating (sweating to death I'm sure, with temps like that!). But I put my foot down, and after much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth (and a dramatic foot-stomping walk to his bedroom) he changed into pants. He put on his best angry-pout face and held onto it for dear life. He huffed and puffed, and stomped out the door. I managed to hug him a few times before he left and tried to assure him it would probably be warm enough tomorrow (I sure hope so b/c I think that may have been a binding contract to his 9-year-old mind).
Could you possibly imagine a more horrible mother!? I wonder what he'll think about these little battles of ours when he's old enough to have grown into his senses. If you're reading this in the future Calin, know that while I may have forced you to change into pants, I didn't once ask you to wear your jacket. Don't you think covered legs with bare arms was a nice compromise?  I do appreciate you at least taking your jacket in your backpack. I know you won't use it but I like knowing that you'll have it just in case hell freezes over or something. And Calin, while I'm on the topic of your strange dressing habits, I have another question for you. Why, when you are always hot and hate long sleeves, do you refuse to wear short sleeved dress shirts? All summer long you go to church in long sleeves, you complain that you're hot, but then refuse to roll up the offending sleeves. Why exactly is that? I just can't wrap my head around your logic sometimes. Just know that I love you son, and that I really do have your best interest at heart.

This is how Calin looked when he got home from school today:
"So hot...must change into shorts...melting...."
So dramatic!

3 comments:

mom said...

So glad the TF made that last stop. Would have hated to see that little disappointed face.
Oh how you will love reading your blog books when that young man is a father and asks if he ever did what his son is doing.

Keri said...

I think the tooth Fairy missed Naiya because she was at our house. Dawson lost a tooth too. As for shorts boy, Xander went to school today in shorts. I didn't object because it was almost 70 degrees here and no wind but lots of sunshine. Plus how couls I tell him no to shorts when I was wearing them and a tee-shirt on my walk. Warm weather will come I promise you Mr. Calin!

Susan said...

little boys have NO common sense. get used to it cuz it won't get better. then suddenly they are adults telling you it's not safe to NOT wear shoes in the kitchen. What was up with that last night, Jordan? Until yesterday I LOVED bare feet, everywhere...even in winter. So sorry Mom, I tend to be with Calin on this one. He'll freeze, he'll live.