Monday, September 17, 2012

Back to School Night


About a week and half ago, Naiya had a back-to-school night for the parents to come and meet the teachers. Just as we were ready to leave, I left the family at the playground so I could go check out the new preschool wing that was built onto the school during the summer. I wandered down the hallway where I ran into Kara, a fellow dance mom who works for the preschool.
Last year during our daughter's dance class, Kara told me about her new job and encouraged me to apply. Obviously, I didn't.  But then when I saw her at the school that night, she mentioned that they needed more para-professionals and that I should talk to the principal, Darnea. I was hesitant and she was still trying to convince me to do so when Darnea happened to walk down the hallway and Kara tells her she should give me a job. Darnea took her seriously and led me down to her office to see what hours were still available. Eventually Darin wandered into the office in search of me and she just smiled and said "I'm giving your wife a job." Darin didn't realize she meant a real paying job, he thought she meant some kind of assignment for PTO or something. I told her I'd think about it and call her in the morning.
I went home a bit confused (Ha! Typical). Had she really just offered me a job? Or was she asking if I was interested so she could look over my application and consider hiring me? I was unsure, and nervous about the prospect of getting a job. But I knew I could not go through another school year sitting at home alone. I talked it over with Darin and as always he was very supportive. And so the next morning (Friday) I called up Darnea and told her I was interested. She told me to fill out an application online right away b/c she wanted me to start on Monday. She didn't even bother doing an interview b/c she said she already knew me. Well alright. I just got hired for a job I neither applied for, nor interviewed for. Of course it's just a measly little Para job, but still, it feels good that someone wanted to hire me. Part of what held me back last year was my concern that no one would want to hire me after being a stay-at-home mom for 10 years, and prior to that only having 11 months of real work experience. But I guess when you spend 10 years raising children, and a lot of time volunteering at schools, you become qualified to play with preschool children.  And so I got a job. I spent the rest of the weekend buying a wardrobe, new shoes, and hemming pants (by hand) so I'd have something to wear to work.
The first week came and went. The job is just what would be expected at a preschool. Toys, games, songs, and snacks. And I have to admit, I think I love it. It's a little weird for me to get used to working with other women since I'm so socially awkward anyway, but I love the kids and that's what matters. The hours are just perfect. I am busy enough to keep me occupied during the day, but still have enough free time on Tues & Thurs to get the chores done. I am still 100% available for my kids after school to oversee homework and get them to their activities. I will get the same holidays off and snow days. Really, the job is the perfect fit for my life right now. Per-fect. The only issue is when Naiya has early out on Mondays and gets home an hour before me. Darin plans to take a late lunch those days so he can be home with her. And if he can't make it home, I have wonderful neighbors who would be willing to watch her, and I imagine if I had to, she could join me in preschool on occasion. So really, it's not a very big issue.
I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity fall into my lap. I didn't know that I needed this job, or that I wanted it, so I wasn't asking for it. But Heavenly Father knows me, and he answered the prayers of my heart, even when I wasn't praying them out loud. He has a perfect understanding of me, he knows that sometimes I don't think to ask him for something b/c I don't know it's the right time to ask. I just keep going about my business and get too distracted to notice that it's time for a change. But when this is the case, he just slaps it in front of me and says "Here ya go, Kate. You're welcome." (which is exactly how I got my husband).  And so even though I wasn't actively seeking a change, I know my spirit was longing for one. And this change is right. This job is right. And it makes me happy. :)

1 comment:

Missy said...

As I was reading the end, I realized I needed a change too. You got a job, I got a baby!! I guess the Lord gave us what was best for us. I just hope next time I need a change, I don't have another kid.