Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving

In the past, we've had a few Thanksgivings where it was just the 4 of us and we had a quiet little meal and enjoyed quiet family time. And those holidays were nice, but they didn't feel like holidays. Yes it is crazy to get together with family, and yes it's even crazier to host the dinner, but when it comes down to it, that's what holidays are about. We can enjoy a quiet meal with our little family any night of week. But holidays are for getting together. That's the reason they are special, because of the people you spend them with. So this year, we invited Keri's crew up for a visit (minus Tyler who had to work), and Darin's parents for dinner. We started dinner prep on Wednesday with the pies. Darin had to work but I had 2 cute helpers.
Cute helper #1 took on the apple corer/peeler/slicer to help with the apple pies.

Upside-down break!


Now on to pumpkin.

Cute helper #2

I love me some apple pie!
Rolling out the salt dough to cover the turkey.

Keri got up early and chopped up everything for the turkey

Little man watched the parade.

Pretty! This was before the nightmare of trying to wrap the dough around it and get it into the pan. We ended up making more dough to put in the bottom of the pan then sealed the edges around it.

Darin used a hammer to break open the dough after it was cooked.
We did our best to plug the holes but got some anyway and the juices leaked out and some of the turkey was quite salty. We'll have to figure out how to do it correctly if we ever decide to attempt this recipe again. 
After dinner Keri talked me into going shopping with her (Black Friday started on Thanksgiving this year- so sad!) I'm against having black Friday on Thursday, but I love having fun with my sister so I agreed. I hate the Rexburg Walmart after 10am on any given day, so you can imagine how much I hated it on this day. But most people were nice (except for that one guy) and I had fun with Keri, and with Dan who was also there. By the time we were done the crowds were calmed down and I enjoyed it much more. As we were passing K-mart, we saw the parking lot was almost empty so we went in there as well. Darin had all the kids in bed by the time we got home. What a great guy!
The only other photo I got this weekend was the blurry pic of Sawyer wrestling Naiya:

2 comments:

mom said...

I would have loved a piece of your apple pie. You make the best! I baked a Marie Calendar's for the first time and it was pretty good. We sure missed having Gma with us this year. Just Stawicki's, Bowers and us. Glad you had a full house. So much more fun.
I like your helpers too. Interesting to see your son in jeans and not shorts.

Keri said...

I love me some Kate's apple pie. It makes my tummy happy. The turkey was delicious. But I could skip all that and go straight to the apple pie!