Friday, October 10, 2008

The Shack

I spent the last 2 days neglecting my daughter and the chores while I read The Shack. I had heard great things about it but didn't find myself quite as impressed as others have been.
The book is about a man who meets God who then explains to him all the basics of religion: the creation, fall, atonement, yadda yadda. And while the author did a beautiful heartfelt job of explaining these things, he just wasn't very accurate. This was the Gospel according to him, and I'm sure according to many christian religions. But as a Latter Day Saint, of course it didn't mesh with my own beliefs. I disagreed with his teachings so it distracted from the beauty of the book, but it was a good story and I could see why everyone else loved it so much.
I found that reading it served one purpose for me, it strengthened my testimony in LDS doctrine. The Book of Mormon and modern revelation have given us much needed truth that sets us apart from other religions. The way we understand the creation, fall, and atonement, as well as the godhead and our purpose here on earth, is quite unique and a blessing to say the least.
And so today I'm reminded of the truths I so often take for granted and I'm filled with gratitude for the things I've always known.

No comments: