Friday, December 5, 2008

Bunny

Sidetracked from todays decluttering project, I decided to instal our new printer/scanner/copier. I scanned this photo to give it a little test. Look closely and I'm sure some of you can identify that yellow lump of fuzz in front of Calin.
Yeah, that's Calin's bunny, his very own version of the velveteen rabbit in all it's brand-new furry glory. I would love to post some photos of this thing today. It has seen so much love it's impossible to tell what color it used to be. It's legs, arms, ears, tail, and even his face have all been sown back together. He's been restuffed with cotton balls more than once. His fur is rubbed off from love, his eyes and nose are chipped and dented with wear. His mouth is almost non-existant. The thing has been washed a thousand times and has been slept with and loved by Calin every night since he was a baby.
It started when he was an infant, I'd put it in his crib to give him something to look at when he woke up. He grew very fond of this little guy and eventually began holding it in his fingers while he sucked his thumb. No, holding it isn't the right word. He rotated it in pattern, tapping 4 specific parts of it on his upper lip until he fell asleep.
He took the thing EVERYWHERE with him. We almost lost it once when we still lived in Utah, I was walking through Super Walmart in Logan when a woman stopped me and handed it over. She had found in another part of the store and since he was the only kid around, she thought it might be his. From then on it stayed in the car, and eventually stayed in the house, and now for the most part it stays in his bed. Yes, he still sleeps with it. I can't tell you how many times Darin and I have searched through sheets and under his bed in the middle of the night to retrieve this thing.
If there were a fire, bunny would be one of those things we'd go back in the house to get. Actually, I don't think we'd be able to get Calin out without it. Everytime we discuss house fires he always brings up his concern for his "friends." Yes, friends. He also has Monkey, Sleeping Cow, and Webkin, but has thankfully retired Burpcloth. He loves all of his friends, but bunny is the oldest, most worn, and most loved. I tried to take photos of what bunny looks like today, but they're not turning out. My new camera should be here in a few weeks and I'll be sure to give Bunny his very own photoshoot. Until then, you can expect to see lots of old photos while I tinker with this new scanner.

4 comments:

Susan said...

oh his very own velveteen rabbit! How well I remember those days. Glad you have a pix to remember and cry over when he's a dad himself.

mom said...

Was he ever that little? We all need some kind of 'comfort'-why did mine have to be food?

Keri said...

I remember him at that age. He looks the same just bigger.

Missy said...

OH yes, bunny. He is minus ears now isn't he? I am glad you were able to retire burp cloth.
Trinity is down to 3, purple blankie, purple heart pillow and pink shawl.
Care bears are off the bed and most of her other things too. As long as we have those 3 when we head anywhere, we are good. Oh, she likes her own pillow too.
Have you read him the velveteen rabbit? Trinity likes that book.