Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ode to life's little joys

Have I mentioned how much I love my garage? It's only a 1-car, but Darin is sweet and parks outside so I can use it. How spoiled it has made me! Winter is so much more manageable when I don't have to trudge through the snow and scrape a car, then have wet pant legs for the next several hours. In fact, I've barely even minded this winter. It's kind of shocking how much of a difference it makes. I've never had a garage, never had one growing up either, so this is a new concept to me. I can just jump in the car and leave, it's so awesome! It's right up there with the dishwasher in terms of make-my-life-easier convenience. Love it!

6 comments:

Missy said...

I too love my garage. I think I would be more hesitant to go places if I had to scrape my car first. PLus, makes it much easier/nicer than hauling babies through the snow.

Keri said...

Isn't funny how we appriciate the little things. My other favorite thing we have that we didn't have growing up is my garbage disposal. It's awesome.

Dave said...

It makes you wonder about people who don't use their garage to park their cars in, doesn't it? (Especially in the winter). I can understand if you have more cars than your garage can hold, but I just couldn't imagine having so much miscellaneous junk (not vehicles, tools or other useful items) in your garage that you can't use it for at least one car (this excludes people who have a garage that is so huge that you can park an Expedition, a Taurus, several motorcycles and still have room to hold 8 tons of miscellaneous stuff). At one point our garage held a minivan, a car, two motorcycles, two bicycles, a lawnmower and a garbage can and there was still enough room to walk through it. I'm happy you have a garage, Kate. Scraping snow/ice sucks!

Dad said...

I got two lawn mowers, and three bicycles in mine. If you don"t have a garage, just go and build one. Don't wait until some day when your kids will say that they grew up without one. I still think remote starters are fun.

Dan said...

I built a garage once, that was a fun summer. I currently understand the dilemma of experiencing excessive possessions precluding one from using a garage for its intended purposes. As for automatic starters, you don't know this, dad, but Jess wants you to install one for her, since you've had so much experience!

mom said...

At least I'll be able to say--I remember when we didn't have a garage and I scraped the car, hauled 5 kids, groceries etc, etc. That's about as close to a 'pioneer woman' that I'll ever get [thank goodness]. Funny how you appreciate the little things in life when you finally have them. Now all you need is 2 bathrooms, right Kate. How did we ever do it? You should see what's on my list for my next house. Dreaming!