I met with the kids teachers for conferences yesterday and they had some positive things to say. Calin is of course doing extremely well. His teacher showed me a story he wrote which he got 100% on, she'd never given anyone 100% on it before but Calin well deserved it. She would like to have him tested for the gifted and talented program but there is one setback: his behavior. She allows him a lot of leeway in her class, and they would be much more strict in the gifted program. His energy level, combined with his impulsiveness, and his follow-the-crowd mentality is his biggest set back (my words, not hers). He's sharp as a tack, and isn't being challenged quite enough, but he needs to show more self control and maturity. I'm not sure how to get his behavior to match up with his mind. His teacher said he stands at his desk about 90% of the time, but he stays on task so she only makes him sit down when they're doing their cursive writing. He's had a few difficult days because of indoor recess when he can't run his energy off. But overall, she's seen vast improvements since the beginning of the year.
Naiya has been doing good too. In kindergarten it's all ABC's and 123's, plus color, cut, and paste. Naiya loves it and I think she's come a long way. She is beginning to read, which I have long been concerned about. She read her first "real" book to me the other day, Green Eggs and Ham. It's mostly sight words she knows and words she can easily sound out, so she did it 99% without help. It took her quite a while, it's a long book to read one word at a time, and I admit I dozed off a little at the end. But still, I don't know who was more proud, me or her. She couldn't wait to read the story to Daddy the next day and she is thrilled with a sense of accomplishment. Good job, Naiya!
2 comments:
Interestingly enough, many kids who are considered "behavior" problems is because they are too smart for their group and underchallenged. You may be surprised that moving him to a higher level will actually resolve many of his behavior issues...
I agree with the previous comment. He may just need more challenging work to keep him on task and not so easily distracted. He may learn too quickly with the regular assignments so he needs something else to do. I give him a lot of credit if he's able to contain himself just standing by his desk. He must be bored. Good luck Calin
It's hard to believe your little girl is reading. How did that happen? She can't be that big already. Great job Naiya. Don't grow up so fast, please.
Post a Comment