Monday, April 28, 2008

A Night Out

It's been crazy busy over here, sorry for the lack of blogs!
A while back Darin asked me to attend a benefit dinner with him. I put it in the back of my mind and went into stress mode when I realized it was coming up. I had nothing suitable to wear so I had to suck it up and go clothes shopping, something I hate doing. I found a skirt rather easily (thank you Target!) but no shirt. I found myself in a clothing crisis standing there in Kohls ready to break down in tears when my dear best friend happened to call. I begged her to come meet me knowing full well the store was closing soon. She commented about being in her sweats ready for bed but was there to meet me within 15 minutes. No wonder she's been my best friend since I was 12, what a great gal! She found me a great shirt that even happened to be 50% off! Woohoo!
The benefit was held Saturday night, which worked out great with our 7 year anniversary on Sunday. The dinner was to raise money for the Cleveland West Side Community House (Darin sits on their board) and to honor some retiring judge I've never heard of. Wow, what an event! The evening started with mingling, open bar (which fortunately had water bottles and sprite), hors d'voeures, and a silent auction. Then on to a wonderful dinner which was served on 2 different floors of the center, the high paying bigwigs were down stairs and us low lifes upstairs. Then they served up coffee and herded us downstairs for the presentation (emcee'd by Channel 5 News anchor, Kimberly Gill).
They passed around yummy desserts and auctioned off some art projects the children at the center had done. Darin and I were disappointed that with all the money in the room the items still sold pretty close to the starting bid. Too bad. However, I was impressed with 2 young men, obviously friends, who had a bidding war over a little crocheted purse. That was pretty decent of them, the money is for a really good cause.
It was a nice evening, an experience to say the least. Minutes after walking in the door I was ready to turn around and go home but I warmed up to being there and shaking hands with smooth talkers who blew me away with their name remembering skills. I felt out of place, but at least I didn't feel under dressed (thank you Sharon!) Also, thanks to D & P for babysitting the kids at the last minute, we can't thank you enough!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe its already been 7 years.

Missy said...

sounds fun Kate! I want to see pictures of your new outfit. I am glad you warmed up and Sharon came to your rescue. Also, Happy Anniversary, sorry I forgot to call!

Dave said...

Speaking of "Happy Anniversary"... I can't believe that we saw you that night and I STILL forgot! Nope, I don't think that I could suck more. SORRY!!! Oh, Happy Anniversary!

ben said...

Kate welcome to my world of Non profit fundraising. except that i am the guy who organizes things like that. its my job, or part of it. Robyn hates shopping as well.