Oh how I long to be in Rigby, Idaho right now! They had snow early this morning! Just think, I could have been living there right now enjoying a toasty house with a cup of hot chocolate. Instead, today I was already sweating on the 10 minute walk from the parking spot into the zoo. (Yes, the zoo, again. I get bored around here and it's a great excuse to meet up with friends). I hate how hot and muggy it gets before summer even hits (one of the many reasons I didn't want to stay here). It's just miserable.
On another note:
Guess what I'm eating? Peanut butter cookies. Mmmmmm.... That's right. My New Years resolution is no longer in effect. Some of you may be thinking how sad that I only lasted 5 months. Some may be thinking I've failed or gave up or have no will power. On the contrary my friends. I am strong enough to go the rest of my life without eating cookies. Don't doubt me, just trust that I am telling you the truth b/c I would never actually attempt such a silly feat. Instead, I've realized the goal is not working. I've simply substituted my cookie obsession with other sweets. That's pretty pointless and doesn't help with the weight loss efforts. So I spent a few weeks pondering my predicament and made a very conscious decision to abandon my goal. Part of me feels like crap simply b/c I am a woman with integrity and going back on my word (especially to myself) really gets to me. But I know I am not failing my goal, my goal was failing me.
So now I'm wondering if I should go to the opposite extreme and eat no desserts except homemade cookies. But the holidays just wouldn't be the same without making some delicious apple pies! My birthday (this Sunday by the way, send presents) wouldn't be the same without a DQ ice cream cake. And halloween, are you kidding me? How can you not sneak into the kids candy bags when they are sleeping? Those tootsie rolls taunt me mockingly from their snug little place in the cupboard until I can no longer resist. It's just not reasonable for a sugar addict to give up that much sugar. The temptation is too much! I seriously need a 12 step program. What's the first step? Admit that you are powerless and your life has become unmangeable? Check! Alright, what's next?
I guess one good thing about this hot humid weather, I probably lost enough weight sweating today to make up for the dozen cookies I've eaten. :)
7 comments:
Good for you, Kate. You came to a conclusion and then acted on it. There's nothing wrong with that. Besides, cookies are a staple of a proper diet!
Kate, I think you are right, if you substitute the cookies for other junk, you aren't really doing yourself any good. Maybe try the goal of no sweets during the week, only on the weekends. Basically, it is just a matter of learning self control and portion control. When you get that down, tell me how to do it!
My goals never include excluding sweets altogether. I would go crazy! I have to have sugar! I just try to limit. My goal is sweets once a week. Some weeks are better than others, but I've found it works for me.
exclude sweets and you exclude life. i think the main point in any eating is moderation. MAJOR moderation. and portion size. i started this today. 2 pancakes even tho i didn't want even 1. but it was breakfast and i know the body needs to be fueled. so 2 it was....and i'm fine. wonder how lunch will be. Oh, it'll be fine. I have 2 doctor appointments and a lot of shopping that needs to be done. I'm running away from the 2 houses that get to be combined...so i'll run and skip junk food...maybe a nice salad. who knows...but just resolve moderation and you'll be fine.
you are so great! i am loving your honesty!
i am with you on abandoning goals that are failing me! i struggle with finding the right combonation of me wanting to do something different and being realistic!
and yes... it is still cool here in logan, and i am LOVING it!
Personally, I found other goals that let me eat the sweets. Try exercise. It worked for me. Some days I think, K- if I eat this that means I have to walk an extra mile. Worth it? Yes it is! Other days no it's not! Train for a marathon then you deserve the treats! And it is a just reward.
Speaking of cookies, I made
no-bakes, today yummy!
Post a Comment