Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reason for the Season

My husband loves me, and he rocks when it comes to giving me gifts. He saved up all year to surprise me with the Willow Tree Nativity I've been drooling over for several years now. And he built me a stable for it! He didn't like the one that went with the set, nor the price, so he and and his father made me one. They used wood from an old machine shed his great-grandfather had built on the family property way back when. How cool is that? I love it, I imagine the actual stable was built from raw wood like that--gray, rough grain, and knot holes, so it makes it even more special. I love that they added a little fence too to make it feel even more authentic.





Along with the nativity he also got the shepherd and stable animals. He apologized for not getting the wise men yet, but I assured him it was fine. After all, they came later in the real Christmas story too. I love love love this nativity. It has such a peaceful serene feel to it. I love that Mary is holding Jesus, as a new mother, I imagine she never wanted to put him down and he spent very little time in the manger. Naiya still thought there needed to be a manger so she crafted this one out paper and a scrap of wood. She also added the paper star and red-headed angel (using a cherub ornament as her guide to draw it).

Those probably won't stay up there, but I think it's really cute that she made them.





5 comments:

Welcome to my World. said...

Ahhhh!!! I love it! :) You two are so cute together. It gives me hope!! hehehe.

leslie mae said...

My Mom has had a friend who has gotten her a piece of that set every year for Christmas. She leaves it up year round! I love it!

Keri said...

I've been drooling over that same nativity for years. I want one. Color me jealous.

mom said...

I know you've wanted a nativity for a long time so it's great to see you got one. The homemade part makes it even more special. I think you should leave Naiya's creations there. Isn't that what it's all about?
I love my old 'beat up' looking nativity I inherited from Gma. It might not be a show piece to anyone else but it means the world to me. So many memories.

Susan said...

personally, i hope you have a hutch, glassed in, and you can keep it up all year. these kinds of nativities need to stay up all year and not just be loved and admired in December. It's lovely...made lovelier by the hand skilled setting, from a family used and loved 'house'.