Thursday, March 6, 2008

Morning Workout

Due to an icy storm my car was covered in a thick layer of ice. I knew it would be difficult to get it off so I allowed myself plenty of time to get it defrosted and scraped. I had the car ready to go 10 minutes before I had to leave and was feeling pretty proud of myself. What I didn't count on was that I wouldn't be able to get it out of the parking spot. The dang back tires were frozen to the gravel driveway.
I shoveled all the snow from around them and chipped away the ice but still any attempts to actually move the car resulted in spinning tires and burning rubber. Grrrr! Finally in frusteration I swallowed my pride and called my wonderful husband for help. He instructed me to pack some gravel tighly behind the front tires so that they had enough traction. Doh! Why didn't I think of that!?
10 minutes later I was finally out of my parking spot. 20 minutes of scraping and 40 minutes on the tires resulted in the car idling for an hour before I finally got Calin to school 25 minutes late. :( This is the first time I've regretted not sending him on the bus as I watched it pass by the house twice while I was out there. At least I got in a good workout.

And despite how it sounds, I am actually very grateful. 1. b/c I have a car at all. 2. b/c I didn't have to go out in the storm. And 3. b/c I have someone to call for help when I need it.

I could keep going but I'll stop there. I appreciate the very plush life I live with a family, home, car, food on the table, clothes on our backs, and money coming in. No doubt in my mind that this is the promised land and that Heavenly Father is taking care of us.

4 comments:

ben said...

oh i do not envy you. i do remember having to do that before seminary every morning growing up. but not here it just rains.

Max and Deborah said...

I too spent a long time digging my car out. Is it spring yet?? At least the snow was great snow packing snow and we could be productive in the traditional snow play. I love building snowmen.

Missy said...

Yeah for a garage! I am so greatful I have one for all the snow we have gotten. Definately days I would not have found my car!

Susan said...

good for you for listing your gratitudes. you did really good in shoveling. i stayed inside and waited for the thaw...which came. However, Robert DID snowplow the driveway at 9pm the previous night which really helped the next day