Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Party!

I had a date with my hubby tonight! My parents took the kids for a few hours so we could attend my girlfriends surprise b-day party (what an incredible husband she has to do that for her)! It was nice to be out without going into panic stress mode like I do when the kids are around. Instead I could laugh with Darin and talk with friends and just relax. And I'm glad I could be there to celebrate with my dear friend on her fifth 29th birthday. Felicia is one of my favorite friends; and one of the people I'll miss most when I move.
I met her almost 3 years ago. My first time using freecycle I scored a small table. When we went to pick it up we were met by a cute little boy and his kind father. As we talked I found myself wishing that they were my neighbors. One thing led to another and while they still aren't my neighbors, they have become dear friends. Felicia is a beautiful soul. She is strong, and I don't say that lightly. She has overcome adversity I couldn't even dream of, and risen above her challenges to become a rock and an example to others. I looked around her party tonight at a room packed full of people who have had the pleasure to know her and love her. No doubt they have come to cherish her friendship as much as I have. I am so glad to have met her and been inspired by her story. And I'm proud to call her my friend.
I don't think it was just a chance meeting that she had a table I wanted. No way. There was a much higher power at work that day leading me to the friend I'd been praying to find. God works in mysterious ways, and apparently freecycle is one of them. I just hope that Felicia knows how much she has impacted my life and that she motivates me to be a better version of myself.
I love your guts girly! Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Missy said...

Felicia, Thanks for being such a good friend to Kate! It is great to know she has someone to help her through those tough times since her sisters are oh so far away! She's right you know, You are awesome! I am glad I got to meet you a few times!

Anonymous said...

Dang Kate! You had me crying on this one....good thing you're not really moving, or we just might be perpetually sad.
chuck

Anonymous said...

I have not replied because I couldn't think of anything other than THANKS FOR BEING SUCH A GREAT FRIEND and that just sounded so corny. I do have to say that the "fifth 29th" put a huge smile on my face and by the end I was sobbing! Thanks for everything Kate!