I wanted so badly to help, to go and join the search party. But since I was still in postpartum recovery, searching for a dead body with a newborn in tow wasn't really the best idea. And so I just sat and watched stories about her and cried and listened as each lead they had fizzled out and hope grew dim. I would have dreams about finding her and taking her into my home where she was safe. Weird, I know, but my hormones were totally out of whack. It was just such a sad time.
I recall every time the news interrupted a show, I'd hope it was b/c they found her. Then, 9 months later, it finally did happen. I can't remember what I was watching, but the familiar news theme interuppted the show, and as always I listened with anticipation, and as soon as they announced it I burst into tears. I wrapped 9 month old Calin in my arms and just hugged him, grinning from ear to ear. Everyone jumped on the phone to share the news, overcome by joy that this girl has been reunited with her family. What a great day that was, a great week actually as the news continued to celebrate her homecoming and everyone seemed to be in the best of spirits.
And now here it is 5 years later. She's a 20 year old BYU student and my baby is in Kindergarden. When did I blink? When did he grow up? When did I grow up? What happened to the 21 year old scared new mom I used to be and that tiny high maintenance baby? So much has happened since then, things have changed, I've changed. I feel like I'm in an entirely different world than I was back then. And yet when I get to remembering specific memories they feel like they happened yesterday, and where did the time go?
Where will Calin and I be in another 5 years? We'll surely have forgotten all about kindergarden and learning to read and write, and swimming lessons and moving to Idaho. I wonder where we'll be and what stresses I'll have. Boy scouts, Little League, Smoking, Girls? It makes me sick to my stomach to even think about having a 10-11 year old. So for now I guess I'll just try to keep the thought out of my head and keep my worries as simple as I can, for as long as I can.
Me and 5 month old Calin (That's our backyard in Logan, Utah. Look at that beautiful river!

Darin and Calin age 1 1/2

Calin, age 3, with newborn Naiya
5 comments:
superb memories. now you just have to keep the wee ones safe. you can NEVER be too casual about being on the watch. even in church.
Kate, I totally remember all that with E.S. I was at work at the day care when they found her. We had the radio on. We brought the kids in from outside and made them play inside so we could watch the news.
I remember when Calin was born too. So tiny, and only a day late to have his aunt Missy there to greet him when he entered the world.
I remember when you let us babysit him so you could go to General Conference at the new conference center.
I love you family!
Hey I remember that special day. I remember looking at that red hair when he came out. I also remember his extremely exhausted parents. Kate ya gonna get in the birthing tub? No your gonna stand up and have your water break. Oh the memories.
where does time go? wish it would slow down! your hair WAS short! very cute.
Yeah really, keep is simple. Eli is in preschool now and rides the bus by himself. I can't worry too much about the future... that is guaranteed anxiety... I can just try to teach him the best I can...
BTW
I got blog tagged this week, so now I’m tagging you "it"! (absolutely no obligation to play ☺)
If you would like to play, here's how this game of tag goes:
1. Link to the tagger.
2. Share 7 random or weird facts about yourself.
3. Tag 7 people, post their names and links to their blogs on your blog.
4. Tell the 7 people you tagged by posting “Tag you’re it” on their blogs in their comments box and explain the rules to them.
Post a Comment