Monday, November 10, 2008

Of daughters, dolls, and potty drama

Today I'm assisting in the potty training of a very naked, very blonde, and very booby barbie doll. Who knew Barbie needed a potty? Certainly I, in my own wildest barbie imaginations, do not ever remember, even once, putting barbie on a little toilet. Sure she had her gal pals, her shopping, her car, clothes, food, babies, even her handsome Ken doll. But never once do I recall thinking barbie needed to poop. Yet today on my computer desk sits a fully relieved doll with her frizzy hair, slutty make up, built in underwear, and glitter infused legs. And 2 other dolls await their turn. And I can see my daughter on the prowl for more dolls as we speak. Luckily she's been sidetracked by my little pony and an overturned puppet theater

so I finally had a chance to hide the wipes. That's right, wipes. Toilet paper won't do for this high maintenance doll, she needs the over-priced flushable wipes with the fruity smell and adorable "quilted" animal shapes. After the dolls have been wiped, with not 1, but 2 wipes each, the wipes will get flushed. And rest assured, I will not soon forget last weeks flooded toilet and the time consuming clean up. And I won't forget a few days ago finding my daughter next to the toilet bowl holding a dripping wet fire truck, sporting a wet sleeve. Oh rapture. So avoiding any excess toilet use is becoming rather important over here.
* * * * *
And now, while I was blogging, she just peed on the bathroom floor. What the heck? Barbie can make it to the potty but my 3 year old can't? It's alright though, it's easy clean up on the bathroom floor. And honestly, I can't remember the last time she had an accident. A friend yesterday was saying how she just waits until her kids are older to potty train so she doesn't have to worry about the mess. It works great for her, but me, no way. The potty reminders and accidents my daughter had were well worth the year+ spent pooping in the toilet before she had full bladder control. Rather than wiping poo from all those cracks and crevices and rolling up the stink in a diaper which then had to be bagged and taken outside, all I had to do was a quick wipe and flush it away. Saving 365+ stinky diapers, bags, and the effort involved. Well worth it my friends, well worth it.

6 comments:

mom said...

Oh the joys of motherhood!

Missy said...

Kate, Trinity's dolls often go potty. At least they used to. She uses the potty from her Dora castle. Her princessess would even pee in their dressess! I am glad she is past that stage.

Dan said...

I remember being peed on more than once by Care Bears, courtesy of Trin!

Dan said...

Oh, and by the way, we had a little girl poop on the floor yesterday! At least Barbie can aim!

Max and Deborah said...

now they make dolls who poop. Baby Alive, has to wear a diaper as she is fed food. A doll. I found myself changing a dolls diaper once!!! As I was doing it I thought... I will never do this again. Since then I wont let them feed her the food. It will be pretend. I have changed enough diapers.
There is a joy in mothering, kids love to pretend they are moms. It is fun to watch.

Keri said...

I laughed out loud. Glad to know she put her dolls bladder first. That is true sacrifice.