Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday ramblings

I feel the need to post something. Anything. So many things come and go and don't get blogged. Yet I only remember them when I'm driving or when I'm laying down in bed at night or some other inconvenient time. So lots goes unsaid. Not sure where I'm going with this blog, so bear with me.
Today was Church of course. Calin woke up completely buzzed, you know how he can be. He settled down pretty well in sacrament meeting but lost it by the end of church. He just started screaming while Darin tried to get him to put his coat on. He screamed for 3 minutes (which is like an eternity when you're in an embarrassing situation) while I stood outside in the flurries waiting for him. And boy was he screaming, red faced-top of the lungs-pretend it's not your kid, screaming. And it didn't quit once he got outside, he ran to the car screaming how he hates me (or Darin, who knows), and something about stupid (stupid is like a swear word for him b/c he knows he's not supposed to say it). He screamed for several more minutes in the car while Darin and I ignored him/tried to calm him/chucked under our breath. At one point I pulled him out of the car b/c he was hurting our ears so badly and kicking my seat. Holy cow was he out of control. I think he was mad about the coat thing, but then got madder when he realized he wasn't getting the candy Grandma had for him. Sorry about that mom, but he had not earned candy with how awfully he was acting. Though had I thought about it I would have grabbed some for Naiya just to torture him worse (haha, I'm kidding, I'm not that mean). He screamed for most of the drive but by the time we got home he was begging for a hug. Poor kid. Some days going to church just doesn't feel worth it.
Since I'm on the subject of church, I forgot to mention Darin got another calling last month (in addition to scouts and EQ). He's a stake financial specialist. In lieu of the economic crisis going on many members are finding themselves in financial hardship. So Darin, and another guy who got called, will try to help them out. They're going to train the bishops on how to counsel these people, hold quarterly seminars, and meet with people one on one. It's a great calling for him to have and he looks forward to getting started.
And more about Darin, b/c it's my blog and he's pretty much my favorite subject.
Darin has been in banking for 4 years and had his first robbery attempt recently. A girl came in covered head to toe, dark glasses, scarf around her face, gloves on a warm day, so everyone was eyeing her supsiciously. She got spooked and ran out of the bank. Darin ran after her and got the lisence plate # on the getaway car. After leaving though they drove to another branch of the bank and robbed it, getting away with only $200. But just a few hours later the car was tracked down and the man arrested. A few days later the woman was also arrested. On Tuesday night Darin was called out of his institute class b/c someone had tried to break into the ATM, that suspect hasn't been caught though. With Christmas right around the corner people are desperate and banks get robbed much more often. It's scary to me, but Darin isn't phased. Oh well. Enough blabbing. Love you all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Callin's bad day, but its sad they act this way sometime. My kids never did that but they did try...ONCE, it ended as soon as it began...I feel for you. If you ever need a day off or a few hours of a break time...call me. I love to play and I can keep them entertained to give you a break. Read my blog on The joy of Love...it was an experience and a story that may let you see things on these situations differently.

Millie

mom said...

Poor Calin knows when he's wrong but once he looses it he has such a hard time regaining control. Much like some adults. He needed that reassuring hug that you still loved him-be glad he could ask for it. He knows the candy is only for a good day and had already blown it so that made it worse-sorry.
Reading about the attempted robbery was as disturbing as hearing about it the first time. I'm glad we always pray for everyones safety each day.
Just an after thought. Last nite as I lay in bed I could still smell the roast etc from dinner and it made me do a lot of reminiscing from when all you kids were little. Funny how smells can do that. Thanks for joining us {David too].

Keri said...

Ok so mom's ending comment made me tear up. I miss you all so much and I miss family dinner and roast and potatoes and corn. I want to be there. It's been forever and I hate Holidays when I'm out here alone and everyone is home together. It's hard! But, it's the decision I made almost 10yrs ago now. What do ya do.

Dan said...

Yea, I was feeling a little homesick yesterday too. Which, for me, (no offense, mom) is rare. It's funny, yesterday at the Squires' we had roast, potatoes and corn. Still not the same.

mom said...

Keri-I guess we're just going to have to figure out away to get all of you back here again. Didn't mean to make you teary eyed. You'd be surprised at the things I get teary eyed over. [and no I won't tell]
Dan-it's OK you don't get homesick. You're in a different position than Keri cause you still have a family out their to be with.
I know what the menu will be next time we are together.

Susan said...

i'm not sure i like the idea of hubby chasing after a getaway car. That comment freaked me out! what if there were bullets flying? What if the jerk saw Darin and tried to run him down...see....who needs books...I have my own vivid imagination. Glad he's safe.