Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Eve

Today started off as a pretty great day. The kids didn't have school, and actually slept until 8am! Then they climbed in bed with me and we played/wrestled/tickled/giggled for an hour before finally rolling out of bed. We did a few chores, cut a few snowflakes, then finally had breakfast at 10am, Campbells chicken noodle soup (don't ask). Then we turned on the Christmas music, tied on our aprons, and set to work on the pies. Pumpkin first, then apple. We had so much fun baking together, and dancing to the music. And they kids were so well behaved I thought perhaps aliens had had come last night and taken over their cute little bodies.

Within minutes of removing pies from the oven I ended up with this mess:

Again, don't ask.

We baked the apple pies, cut more snowflakes, played a game of hide and seek, and ran to the store for more pie crusts (no, I don't make my own, I'm not that domestic yet) Of course during our shopping trip my normal over-active run-around-crazy Calin returned to me, and I realized I had forgotten to feed them! I know, aren't I super? After lunch they holed themselves up in their room and played trains for hours until Daddy came home and took us out to CiCi's. It was a pretty great day. And first thing tomorrow I've got 2 more pies to bake while Darin is off at the annual Turkey Bowl Paintball game, then we'll head to my parents and then to my aunts for dinner. I'm hoping for another great day! Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Dan said...

I say throw some whip cream on that pie and I'd eat it!

Kate said...

You know, when it happened all I could think about was on friends when Rachel and Chandler were eating that cheesecake off the hallway floor and Joey came and pulled a fork out of his pocket. I did salvage what I could, you can see there's some in the pan still, and I picked that big piece of crust off the top that didn't touch the floor.

Jennie said...

happy thanksgiving! so much to be grateful for! have a great day!

Susan said...

oh...One of my pies ended up sort of like that but it wasn't my fault...it was the refrigerator which I'm still trying to learn how to adjust to...and Dawn....well, she opened the door. But the pie was in one of those plastic things so it just got flipped back over. 2 pieces out of it (new recipe...turtle pumpkin pie) and I decided to throw it out. Not good. Had about 6 other pies and another dessert so we were good. But there was this heart sickening moment.