Thursday, September 4, 2008

Reason to Worry

2 blogs in one day? I know, I'm kind of on a blogging kick. And tonight I'm feeling a little down sitting here alone with a bowl of mint chocolate chip brownie ice cream and just need to get my thoughts out.

For the last few days I've had to correct my son for saying "What the hell?" I don't know if one of his friends is saying it or it's from a movie or what. Regardless, he keeps saying it.
He also keeps pretending to be chinese, pulling his eyes to the side, this was taught to him by one of his good buddies. He just doesn't understand why he shouldn't do this.
Today he came home from school with this:
In case you can't tell, those pumpkins are smoking cigarettes. Come to find out in art class one of his friends drew an old lady smoking and drew a stop no smoking sign. Somehow this spawned the smoking pumpkins. He said something about lights, but I couldn't make sense of what he was saying.

Tonight was the open house for Calin's school, we got to meet his teacher, see his classroom tour the school. Super. In his desk I found a broken pencil. I asked him why he didn't throw it away and he said b/c his teacher would see it in the garbage. Apparently he didn't want to get in trouble. Eh? So he was just going to keep it in there forever? I assured him it was alright and I stuck it in my purse. Maybe he broke it on purpose and that's why he was afraid (there was a crayon breaking issue in kindergarden).

Afterwards the kids begged to play on the playground for a little while. I noticed the chaos in his room was dying down so I sent them out with Darin so I could ask his teacher how his behavior was. Her response, "I was actually going to call you about that." Holy crap, it's only the second week of school! Turns out he bit a kid today. WHAT!? He has never had a biting problem (at least not that I know of, I know from the primary kids tattling that he does naughty things before/after primary, but I don't think biting is one of them). She said academically he's on track, but he seems to "wander" and not really pay attention to what is going on. I knew that about him already. She said he did raise his hand a lot today, so that was good.
His teacher said she read through the notes from his old kindergarden teacher and is ready to set him up on some kind of discipline plan like she had him on. I'm not exactly sure how it will work but I requested she tell me specific things that happen so I can address them at home. Not like I know how, but at least I can try.
I tried to talk to him about this in the car, but it's like talking to a wall. He said sometimes his brain tells him to do bad things and sometimes it tells him to do good things. Okay, I get that. Resist doing the bad stuff! Choose the right! What the heck has he been learning all these years?
Darin keeps telling me I should have him tested for ADD or ADHD but I'm hesitant. I believe a lot of children are misdiagnosed and I don't want him to be medicatd for no reason. At this point I'm going to hold out and see what happens in the next few weeks.
Oh Calin, what am I going to do with you?

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Okay so I am cracking up about the smoking pumpkins. Kids come up with the craziest things. Don't worry about things too much. Boys seem to be a little on the crazy side. I know mine are. Use your mothers intuition you won't go wrong.

mom said...

Having him tested does not mean he has to go on meds. There are alternative methods you could try. He will learn eventually how to deal with peer pressure-remember he's only 6. Keep reminding him what's appropriate/what's not and why. He is a smart kid & he'll catch on. I think the daily behavior notices are good. Then you can reward/discipline as you feel is appropriate. Remember that it takes him awhile to settle down with new situations. Relax!

Missy said...

Just LOVE him! He really is a good kid, no matter how much "crap" he gives you.

Nicole said...

I'm not at that stage yet, but I have a feeling he and Alekisio are the same kind of difficult. My doctor told me he's just a boy. He seems like a smart kids and maybe he just gets bored. His drawings and language could just be him testing things out to see what kind of reaction adults will have. He's getting bombarded at school with things he's not exposed to at home and he may just be sorting them out. I don't know if that makes sense. I'm dreading school years for this reason. You're a good mom, Missy's right he just needs your love.

Dan said...

Wait, pumpkins smoking is a bad thing? I think it's creative genius at work!

Tracy said...

I'm sorry but the smoking pumpkins gave me a good giggle. Hope that things settle down at school.