I've had a few "Am I really that old?" kind of moments lately. The first was in Sunday school when a new guy stood up to introduce himself and his wife and my jaw dropped at how young he was, I would have sworn he was 16. I realized it's the same with missionaries. When did they stop being cute older guys you couldn't flirt with to young kids in need of a good meal?
The second instance was when we were in a little meet-n-greet in the bishops office to be introduced to all the leadership in the ward. I mentioned that I met Darin while I was going to school here (a very common thing) but then Darin piped in that that was back when it was still Ricks. And in unison every single person in that room breathed "woooooooow!" I suppose it was 10 years ago, but to me it's been a very short 10 years. But I guess to people who are from Rexburg it might seem like forever ago. It made me feel SO OLD! And it didn't help that the other new couple in the meeting with us were newly weds, as in she-accidentally-introduced-herself-with-her-maiden-name newly weds.
Yesterday Calin asked me how old I was when I got married and it surprised me to tell him I was 19. 19! Really? What the heck was I thinking, I was so young! How could I have thought I was ready to get married? Luckily for me I know how to pick a husband. Darin is the perfect guy for me and I would have been a fool not to snatch him up when I had the chance. I've become a whole different person since then, and so has he, but we were lucky enough to grow together, not apart. Still though, what a gamble!
I realize I'm not technically "old" yet. But next year with both kids in school I'll be in a brand new phase of my life, something I never expected to happen so early on. I expected to have my 5th child when I turned 30, obviously that's not happening. But now I get to do something for me and re-learn what life is like outside of shuttling kids around all day. I kind of want to go back to school, and this college town makes it pretty convenient. But it would be ideal for me to get a job with the schools, just as an aid or in the lunch room or something so that I could have summers off and still spend most of my time with the kids. Buying a house means a tighter budget and we'll need the extra income. Fortunately, I still have a lot of time to figure it out while I adjust to the new found wisdom that I am getting old.
Update: I take it back, marrying Darin wasn't a gamble at all. Revelation told me it was right, and I have no reason to doubt my Father in Heaven.
2 comments:
So, your not having 5 kids by 30. Are you still having 5 kids???? lol Is it sad thats what made me chuckle from your post. And yes, you are getting old. But I'll always be older. So now do you feel better. Itold Ty I was having 5 kids before I was 36. Think it will happen???
The neat part about this point in your life is that you are young enough to still do lots of things. Yes you can be involved in the kids schools, yes you could get a job, yes you could go back to school. Think how often you could go to the Temple. Opportunities to serve? So many things you could do! I'm sure you'll come up with something. In the meantime just enjoy this time in your life. You've earned it.
Post a Comment