Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sabbath Day Musings

My thoughts today.

1. It's been yet another busy week of running around. But life, life is good. I live such a blessed life full of the things that matter most.

2. I got a new cell phone, it's nothing fancy, just a basic flip phone. But my other one was 3 years old and I had to charge it twice a day if I used it for more than an hour.

3. The cigarette lighter in my car died, so I can no longer use it to charge things, like my old phone.

4. Today was the primary program at church. We have a small primary, there were only about 15 kids up there (in Rexburg, Idaho, where our neighbor ward has 200 kids, ridiculous!) but they did a great job. Calin sang wonderfully as always and did several parts, filling in for some older kids who were missing. Naiya was hilarious to watch. She went from happy-smiley-waving to pouty-sad-sulking and back to happy-smiley-waving every few minutes. She was excited to be up there but sad that it was taking so long and she couldn't be with us. So much drama for such a tiny girl.

5. Darin got called to be the Young Mens 2nd counselor and assistant scout master. He loves scouts, and it shouldn't be too demanding, so it will be a great calling for him.

6. I learned how to make and can applesauce with my sister. We picked a bunch of apples at Jess' mom's house and borrowed a strainer from Missy's MIL and spent 2 days canning them all. I now have 2-3 years worth of applesauce and the only cost to me was the canning jars, which I can reuse.

7. I went to a Skype baby shower for my sister-in-law, half of us were in Idaho, the other half back home in Ohio. It made me homesick.

8. We ran into our realtor last time we went to check out the house. The final walk through is slated for December 23rd. We fully expect it to take longer.

9. It's supposed to snow this week. I shouldn't complain b/c last year it started at the end of September, but I'm not ready for it yet.

10. Dan and Jess gave us a box of muddy potatoes they gleaned. I got the mud scrubbed off but now I need to use them before they go bad. Recipe ideas?

5 comments:

Welcome to my World. said...

Allrecipes.com One of my favorite sites!

I made a fantastic potato soup from one of the recipes posted there. I don't think I could find it again for the life of me, but I'm sure there you will have no problem finding something that looks tasty to you.

How easy was canning? I remember my mom and grandma doing it all the time when I was a kid but I have never tried.

mom said...

Thanks for sharing your musings. You've been a busy girl. If you liked the potato soup I make email me ad I'll send you the recipe.
Would it be Halloween in ID without snow?
I enjoyed the OH/ID shower, too. Naiya was so fun to watch. I don't know if she really understood we could see her little antic's and cute facial expressions. Wish Miss had brought Trin.
It's great that you girls canned applesauce. Another skill learned.
The foundation for your house looks huge. Count down is on.

Kate said...

Love Allrecipes too! The applesauce was easy enough, you have to use a strainer though, which was having a hard time staying clamped to my sisters rounded countertop edges. Driggs got snow today, but Rexburg didn't. :)

Nicole said...

Sounds like you're having fun. When is your house going to be done? That's so exciting! If you guys ever want to skype, we always are on Sunday's talking to family.

Millie said...

mash potaoes, yummy potatoes, baked potatoes, potato salad, french fries, potato soup with bacon, potato bread, tater tots, agratin potatoes, hash brown potatoes with ham, potatoes steak fries, etc...etc.

But I am sure you will use them up. If you store them in the fridge they will last for 3 months.